I was seriously considering selling the Katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was seriously considering selling the Katana

I recently purchased a 2015 DL650A V-Strom. This bike is such a joy to ride, and such a different experience from my Katana (and the GS650GL before that). It runs silky smooth, is quiet, flattens out the bumps, etc. My back, wrists and knees do not hurt after a long time in the saddle. It's a very relaxing, easy bike to ride. Not to mention the ease of maintenance, starting (fuel injection!), etc. I enjoy riding it so much that I was considering selling the Katana. The Kat is a very different experience: much stiffer suspension, crappy ergonomics (sore back, sore knees, sore wrists), requires more attention regarding maintenance and repair, etc, etc.

So yesterday I took the Katana out for a ride to help me make up my mind. I expected to come away feeling more confident that I should sell it. Well, the exact opposite happened. The speed, the sound, the feeling through my hands and feet, and the sense of being one with the bike made me realize why I love riding that thing so much. Sure, it's uncomfortable, but it's also a noisy, bumpy, very "mechanical" experience that I thoroughly enjoyed. The sound of 16 valves clattering away, the carbs sucking in a ton of air, the exhaust screaming as I fly down the back roads. There's nothing like the feeling of cracking the throttle wide open and the rush that happens at about 6000RPM. It leaves a smile on my face every time.

So, the thoughts of selling the Kat have been put to rest. I won't be riding it as often, but I'll still ride it. It has it's place and purpose along with the V-Strom. I guess I'm following the n+1 formula for bike ownership now. Who knows what will be next?

Cheers and happy Friday!

It's the old "out of sight, out of mind" syndrome... I get that every time something of mine sits around. I start thinking that I wouldn't miss it and that it would be better for the bike to have an owner that uses it more but all it takes is one ride to reignite the feelings I have for the machine.

It's pretty much why I insured my Katana for the first time in a year today... let the good times roll! Yes I know that's the Kawasaki slogan but I don't care.
    2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
    2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

I completely agree with the feeling of the old bike. Ever since I bought the Bandit I love riding it for its smoothness and ability to handle long distance runs at nice speeds. However, I feel so much more one with the bike when I ride the GS through my local twisty routes. I'm definitely not selling the GS until after I die but i'll use the Bandit on my long distance rides
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Smart move! Never sell the Kat

One thing I discovered hanging out with the local Kat guys here is that those who had a Kat then sold it tend to regret it and go looking for another.

Incidentally, if the ergonomics are that bad for you, a mate just discovered that a GS1100G top triple clamp is a direct swap for the Kat one allowing him to use some Renthal 'bars which is going to help his back no end. The only change is clutch cable and figuring out how to mount the Kat instruments at this stage. Both clamps are setup for the same rake etc. so there is no change to the geometry of the bike.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

If you need an 1100G upper clamp, I have one sitting on the shelf that I will never use.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Same here. Every time I ride my GS850G, I come away thinking, "Man, this thing works so well and feels so right. Why don't I ride it more?"

Obviously, the ergonomics of an 850 are a lot better than a Kat, but once you get a GS properly sorted out and reliable, it works far better than it has any right to.

Back in the day (late '70s, early '80s), Suzuki was the first company to really get a handle on handling. For the most part, they got the geometry right.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
            X