Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the 1980 GS750E really need the second front brake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I twisted off a brake bleeder and in the process of extraction I got into the aluminum. The bike is one that I am continually looking for ways to make it lighter. So at least for the time being I removed the right side caliper and am running it on one disk. Is the one side front disk sufficient for this bike and has anyone else gone from 2 disk to 1?

Thanks,

2Stroke

Originally posted by 2stroke View Post
    Today I twisted off a brake bleeder and in the process of extraction I got into the aluminum. The bike is one that I am continually looking for ways to make it lighter. So at least for the time being I removed the right side caliper and am running it on one disk. Is the one side front disk sufficient for this bike and has anyone else gone from 2 disk to 1?

Thanks,

2Stroke
    You’ll likely need a different M/C with a smaller bore. As it sits now you’re getting about half the braking force for an equivalent hand squeeze, compared to stock.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Its all a matter of how well you want to slow down I guess. Weight is always a consideration but how much does a caliper and brake line really weigh? Coming from someone with a single disc up front I'd add another one if it where cheap and easy in a heartbeat, seems to me that eBay should become your best friend soon.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Back in the early eighties there were 750s and 1000s going around with one disc. It worked fine.
        I recall a lot of talk about single stoppers twisting the forks. Maybe part of that was true.
        Anyway twin stoppers got fashionable and that was that.
        However, apart from the plumbing issue you may have with the m/c you also have a bike with a safety feature, brake, removed.
        If the worst happens the technical report on the bike will not look good.
        Remember, bureaucrats count things. They don't have a rat's ass clue nor care how or even if they actually work.
        I would get a replacement caliper, or two, in a heartbeat.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I've been wondering why Suzuki decided to go with single front disk on the 82 750T, when other models of the 750 in earlier years and the same hear had 2. I don't have any complaints, especially since rebuilding the MC, caliper, and installing new braided hose. It's the only street bike I've ever owned. (Actully, I owned a Honda 125 that was given to me for a couple years but that does't count. I could have stopped that bike with my feet, Flintstone style.) You don't know what you don't know. But I'm pretty sure I'd be stopping even better with dual front disk brakes.
          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-13-2019, 09:28 AM.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The “T” bikes were sort of an ‘economy’ or ‘commuter’ model. To fill that role, they went cheaper and lighter weight wherever they could. One front disc, slightly smaller tank, taller gearing in the final drive. All to save a couple pounds, make it cheaper to produce or get you just a little more fuel efficiency.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              I've been wondering why Suzuki decided to go with single front disk on the 82 750T, when other models of the 750 in earlier years and the same hear had 2. I don't have any complaints, especially since rebuilding the MC, caliper, and installing new braided hose. It's the only street bike I've ever owned. You don't know what you don't know. But I'm pretty sure I'd be stopping even better with dual front disk brakes.
              The single disk is bigger than the duel disks...I noticed since I did buy a set-up to convert to dual disk from an 82/1100.

I didn't ride in a way that is caused me to brake hard "all the time". And the braking did improve once I replaced the original line with braided.

My bike is lighter after replacing the dual pipes with the V&H/4-1...it will be lighter when I do the 530 conversion too. Manual says bike weighs about 500 pounds...those dual pipes weighed about 30-40 lbs and I'm sure the chain's weight is minimal but still sheds a little weight.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                If the worst happens the technical report on the bike will not look good.
                Remember, bureaucrats count things. They don't have a rat's ass clue nor care how or even if they actually work.
                I would get a replacement caliper, or two, in a heartbeat.
                There's no such thing as an after-accident investigation like that in the US. Texas and many other states don't even require helmets, and the only legal restrictions on your riding attire are public indecency laws.

But anyway, giving up any significant slice of your braking power on a GS is, to be blunt and impolite, pretty stupid. I say this with all the love, respect, and concern in the world, but removing a caliper to save weight is just a bad, terrible, and double-plus ungood move.

Post in parts wanted for another caliper or scare one up on fleaBay. There are zillions out there; the same caliper body was used on lots of GS models, with different caliper brackets for different forks. There are also thread insert kits available at any decent auto parts store to re-thread the bleeder screw hole.

Yes, usable GS single disk brakes are out there, but it's a different caliper, master, and disk, and overall they still don't work nearly as well. With decent modern pads and braided lines, dual-disk GS brakes are quite good.
                Last edited by bwringer; 05-13-2019, 09:25 AM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

what he said; personally I wouldn't want to reduce the already middling braking power of a gs....
                  Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  There's no such thing as an after-accident investigation like that in the US. Texas and many other states don't even require helmets, and the only legal restrictions on your riding attire are public indecency laws.

But anyway, giving up any significant slice of your braking power on a GS is, to be blunt and impolite, pretty stupid. I say this with all the love, respect, and concern in the world, but removing a caliper to save weight is just a bad, terrible, and double-plus ungood move.

Post in parts wanted for another caliper or scare one up on fleaBay. There are zillions out there; the same caliper body was used on lots of GS models, with different caliper brackets for different forks. There are also thread insert kits available at any decent auto parts store to re-thread the bleeder screw hole.

Yes, usable GS single disk brakes are out there, but it's a different caliper, master, and disk, and overall they still don't work nearly as well. With decent modern pads and braided lines, dual-disk GS brakes are quite good.
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I rode the bike yesterday and the breaking power on the front has declined a bit. I use to be able to stop on a dime but now can stop on a nickle. I have always used down shifting so that helps when it is not an instant stop. However I will be replacing the caliper in the near future.

Thanks again,

2 Stroke

Comment

Well, technically, ... it doesn't need that fourth cylinder, either.

Personally, I think it would be equally foolish to give up either one.

Comment

If you really want to save weight put a CBR F4 rotor on it & a twinpot brake caliper. You'll save weight & gain power. Personally I like to use two of them....
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

bleeder screws usually come out with with heat, pb blaster and patience but they do fail from time to time. some folks use a banjo fitting/bleeder combo with success, if there is a next time.

Comment

The bleeder must have been about to break anyway. It twisted off way too easy. I have been doing a lot of bleeding on it within the last few months. I am wondering if there is a later year bike that has a better caliper that will fit this bike and disk?

Thanks,

2Stroke (aka David)

Comment

The bleeder must have been about to break anyway. It twisted off way too easy. I have been doing a lot of bleeding on it within the last few months. I am wondering if there is a later year bike that has a better caliper that will fit this bike and disk?

Thanks,

2Stroke (aka David)

1980 should have seen the later calipers fitted, but if your's has the earlier hockey-puck type of pads the later caliper will fit straight on. There are still thousands of low-milage calipers out there that are hardly worn at all, and when they're stripped and re-sealed, with modern pads are better than new.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X