Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana build: gsxr rear wheel question

Hi Guys!

I have a 2004 gsxr rear wheel for this project. I need to move the sprocket inward towards the center line. Is there another models sprocket carrier that would drop into this wheel and have the sprocket closer to the center line?

Thank you

on the 1st gen gsxr wheel i used a GS500 sprocket carrier. but ive seen the standard kat sprocket carrier used on later model wheels. Google wheel swap or similar for more info, if you on FB go to Katana World Registry and ask. I actually just finish making a set of spacers to sell for 1st gen wheel.
    100_4564.jpg

Comment

If it's a 5 rubber model then GS500. If it's a 6 then the Standard Suzuki one. You'll still need an offset sprocket though (or a spacer behind the sprocket & put it on with red locktite rather than the bendy washer).
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Not much info. Just showing off what i did when working out spacers for 1st gen wheel swap in a gs/gsx alloy arm. basically measured everything that sits in the rear end. Think my verniers are worn out. I think the GSXR1100 on had 8mm skimmed of the spocket surface in that drawing. I know i was seeing air holes when i did it, Thought that wont work
        Sprocket Carriers.jpg

Comment

why not use a 5/8" offset C/S sprocket? It's easier
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
            why not use a 5/8" offset C/S sprocket? It's easier
            THIS exactly!
            Ray.

Comment

I have lots of clearance between the chain and tire. The chain is very close to the frame. I have a 5/8 offset sprocket on it. I can switch to a 3/8 offset and get the clearance, but I need to move the rear sprocket 1/4 inch towards the wheel center. Can I use a gs500 carrier in a 2004 gsxr wheel, or do I need to machine the carrier I have?

Comment

have to check how many drive rubbers in the wheel. 5 or 6. just took some measurements of the 500 cad drawing. OD of the carrier is 160mm (6.29921in) and from front face to the surface where the sprocket sits is 29mm (1.14173in) As you can see the 500 has 5 blades at the rear. The OD of the carrier should sit around flush inside the wheel when u taking measurements. Mite give you a idea where the sprocket will sit IF it fits the 2004 wheel, hope that helps

GS500 Carrier.jpg
                Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2019, 04:33 AM.

Comment

I've run into the same issue but with a 17X4.5 inch GSXR rear wheel .
                  My 1100 Kat is using an offset front sprocket that brings the chain close to the frame but the rear wheel sprocket carrier is too wide forcing the wheel too far out to the right.
                  I looked into the GS 500 sprocket carrier at 29 mm offset but as I need to only gain 5 mm from the current 42 mm offset, I wonder if the best solution isn't to shave my current carrier?
                  Will it leave enough material?
                  One easy solution is to turn the rear sprocket around as it has an offset of approximately 2.5 mm.
                  It leaves the issue of having the bolts of the sprocket carrier hitting the swingarm extrusion...
                  As this area of the swingarm doesn't seem critical, I suppose it could be milled away???
                  Last edited by John Kat; 06-18-2020, 01:11 PM.
                  sigpicJohn Kat
                  My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                  GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

I measured the GSXR 11K sprocket carrier and I believe one can safely take 5 mm away.
                    As I have two of them it's worth a try.
                    At the same time, the sprocket bolts will also be cut 5 mm shorter
                    sigpicJohn Kat
                    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

The modification to GSXR 11K sprocket carrier is done.
                      It was shaved by 5 mm without any issue and the chain is now perfectly aligned with the 13 mm (probably 1/2 inch) front offset sprocket.
                      There is no spacer on the left hand side of the wheel.

IMG_2234.jpg
                      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
                      X