Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Running Right!

And I am SO excited!
    I have had these carbs apart experimenting like 10 times and I have finally nailed the right combination. Moving the needles in these carbs sucks..

I got this bike and it never ran right.. It wouldn't run in the top, then the middle, then idle, etc. but now it is like perfect everywhere. It doesn't even pop on decel at all and it screams! Tried another brand new set of plugs and this time got the carbs right..

I was even just about to sell it, listed it on CL, because I was so sick of trying to get it to run, and now it is amazing, screams.

Now it only needs new airpods, forks rebuilt or swapped to upsidedowns, rear shocks rebuilt, a chain, maybe plug wires?, grips, probably a new clutch (slips on power sometimes and doesn't completely disengage enough for me to find neutral), dents to pull out of pipes, paint of some sort, maybe some other things I'm forgetting..

But now it RIPS so it's worth messing with some of that stuff..

This thing is the easiest thing around to kickstart.. 1st kick hot or cold..

Isn't it GREAT when it all comes together? I celebrate your success.

What are those pods, APES? And what about the exhaust?

While we're at it, what about the bike itself? '79, '80?

Don't you just love it when it starts easy, idles smooth and pulls strong all the way to redline? Makes you want to...ride!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Dude, I can kick the bike 1st kick while sitting and not even crack the throttle..

The pods are probably Chinese no-name junk.
      The exhaust is a rusty black 4 into 1 with a small dent in one of the headpipes I intend to fix somehow..
      The bike is a 77 but has later wheels on it I think and all sorts of mismatch stuff.. I have no idea what the bars, and seat, and lights, n stuff are from.. I don't know what the swingarm is either, or the rear brake setup..

Comment

I'm so old I remember kick starters. Don't have any, but I remember them. Wished I had one once when battery was dead and I had to ask some stranger to help me push start the Suzi.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Our bikes don't like the throttle touched while trying to start because it uses an choke enrichment system for the fuel and touching the throttle will cause flooding problems.
          1981 GS 1000GLX.
          1981 GS 1000G.
          1981 GS 650GLX.
          1975 TS 185.
          1972 100. Kawasaki.
          1968 100. Suzuki.
          1970 Z 50. Honda.
          1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
          1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

vm's with cheapie pods, many have tried, most have failed. Congrats!
            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Congrats.
              That swingarm is sweet.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Ain't it grand when you get it right ...?

Congratulations - Now ride the snot outta it !
                Currently in the Stable :
                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                  vm's with cheapie pods, many have tried, most have failed. Congrats!
                  Right, but I got the bike with these pods on it and no airbox to fall back on..
                  I want to put nice pods on it eventually now that I know the thing will run, but do you think if I put K&N pods on it from here I will have to retune it again or do you think the tune I have for these pods will work with good pods?

Anyone have any decent pods to sell for a good deal or have any suggestions of what pods to go with and where to get them?

Comment

You may have to tune it again. The K&N's (or the APE copies) will likely flow more air. The intake has a way bigger effect than the exhaust in my experience.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It's getting better..

Today I finally pulled the cam cover and checked the valves but found I didn't have small enough gauges by time I was in there..
                      None of them were completely tight.. 2 I could not get a .09 gauge in (ex 2&3) but I could spin the buckets by hand. Half of the rest a .09 would fit but not a .12, and half a .12 would fit but not a .16..
                      So I guess my valve lash is a little on the loose side but not ridiculously loose.. Do these wear tighter or looser?
                      Everything looked good in there..

I also decided to check the cam timing and found that the intake cam was a tooth advanced.. Their were only 19 rollers between the arrow2 and arrow3 marks, and the exhaust cam was right, so I pulled the intake cam and moved it back so it was 20 chain rollers from the 3-2 arrow marks.. It idles better now but I haven't noticed a huge difference in performance from it.
                      Is that possibly a common mod to advance the intake cam a tooth?

Runs pretty good but it's still a little boggy if I crack the throttle too fast down low, and in the middle I can roll the throttle back and forth and find a sweet spot in the middle where it pulls the hardest, so I'm thinking about trying to raise my needle one notch again.

I know these oldschool carbs run better sometimes when you roll into the throttle than just crack it. What is your experience with throttle roll vs crack on these bikes?
                      If you say pull on 5th from 3k rpm, what do you think about feeling it pull harder at say 3/4 throttle than wide open around the middle of the RPM range?
                      I think this is somewhat typical of non-CV carbs no? Get a better venturi effect with more airspeed under the slide when it's not wide open theories?

Free revving in neutral it bogs a bit if I crack it too hard under about 2k RPM but over 2k it raps very well.

It bogs the most when the engine is cold. Getting it nice and warmed up almost eliminates it.
                      Thoughts?

It seems to run better with the baffle out of the pipe too but it's too loud..
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Got it in one. The direct-operating slide carbs respond better to rolling them open. You can roll them open as fast as they will go without stumbling and they'll be fast enough to keep you happy.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                        X