Side Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Caps

Okay, I have another question that should get some laughs. How does one remove the “side caps”? It shows a 5mm screw inside the cap but how do you get to it? I did indeed search and look through the service manual but i couldn’t find out how.

I dont have expereince with the 2 cyclder models, but the 650s have caps like that which dont have visiable screws going thru them.

What the 650 has is vertical screws behind the cap. Look up under-behind the caps with a mirror. What I did for the 650 that I had was I had a screwdriver that I bent at 90 dgreee angle at just the right place so could reach up-in-behind to get at the screw(s). Was a bit easier with the cam cover bolts out (like I see in your picture) so could lift up the cover some.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ah, the ol bent screwdriver. I think I have a dozen of them laying around. lol

Comment

The screws come up from the bottom, not behind. The parts fishe shows the details.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I got em off. Thanks.

Comment

Now that you have them off, I'll say that you should be able to lift the cam cover off with the caps attached, then you can remove them easily.

Of course, "reverse steps to install".

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That’s what I did. I didn’t realize the caps would come off with cam cover. Now I know.

Comment

Only on the 450 and 650. All the others require cap removal BEFORE cover removal.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The first time I removed my caps I forgot to put them back on before reinstalling the cover, the biggest PITA of rehabbing my bike was getting those caps back on!
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                  X