Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
    Wow, that's quite a printer, Bob.
    It was hard to beat for the cost. On sale for $400, with an additional $200 mail in rebate.
    Popular, and well reviewed. With good paper and Canon ink, prints are good for 50 years, (or so they say )
    Obsolete now, and I don't know anything about the replacement model.

And this, Roger, is quite a picture! Very nice.
    Last edited by Baatfam; 01-28-2021, 07:57 AM.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Agreed, great pic Roger. Looks like a completely different bike without the fairing and bags. Ive always liked your bike and its classic good looks.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

; . . . . . .
        Nice pic of nice bike.

Tell us about the picture.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for the comments on the bike and photo.

I've been waiting for a very long time for a full moon to rise over the snow covered mountains here, and to have an opportunity to photograph the scene. What I didn't realize was how far North the moon rose this time. I should have headed in a different direction for the shot I wanted, plus the snow didn't last long. Making the best of it, I took a few pics of the mountain, posted in another thread, and headed toward home. I actually got lost in Corrales which is funny because it's such a small village West of Albuquerque. This pic was taken near an arroyo, or diversion channel, and I was able to get lower than the street to compose the shot.

Daylight was fading fast so while the moon was nice and bright, the bike had no definition. I had to adjust the contrast, exposure, light settings and a bit of vinegrette to shade the rooftops in the corner. One of those adjustments to the image gave the GS an aura and brought out the moon's features (and now that I look at it a weird shadowy spot in front of the bike). I've tried several times to get the moon to be more than a glowing orb in my pics, now I accidentally got it. Maybe I'll try again tonight with the actual full moon. Maybe....

I nearly froze my cojones off on that ride. Coldest day of the year so far and I strip the fairing off! Glen, you read my mind about how the bike looks now. It won't stay completely naked for long though, but rather than hide the GS's curves behind a bulky windjammer, I have a nice see through windshield coming in a few days.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Great shot Roger.

Love the aura created around the bike.

Photo tip: (I'm probably not telling you guys anything you don't already know)

If you move back further from the bike (if possible) and use a longer lens, keeping the size of the bike in-frame relatively the same as in your original shot, the longer telephoto will bring the moon closer to appear larger. The longer lens will compress the whole scene, so bike will appear more flat, too. Of course, depth of field will suffer too, as will image quality the further you zoom. Tough to get the bike and moon in focus in the same shot, unless you're really far from the bike.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Roger, I have an app on my phone that give sun and moonrise times and has a compass to show where they at in the sky. It comes in very handy.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Roger, I have an app on my phone that give sun and moonrise times and has a compass to show where they at in the sky. It comes in very handy.
                Interesting. Thanks for the idea. I'll look through the app store and check it out.

Tonight is the full moon, but of course the sky is full of clouds.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  Great shot Roger.

Love the aura created around the bike.

Photo tip: (I'm probably not telling you guys anything you don't already know)

If you move back further from the bike (if possible) and use a longer lens, keeping the size of the bike in-frame relatively the same as in your original shot, the longer telephoto will bring the moon closer to appear larger. The longer lens will compress the whole scene, so bike will appear more flat, too. Of course, depth of field will suffer too, as will image quality the further you zoom. Tough to get the bike and moon in focus in the same shot, unless you're really far from the bike.
                  Thanks for the tip, Rich. I remember Sandy saying basically the same thing a while back. It's a fascinating effect.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Roger, Thanksfor description of impressive photo.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    I would like to find something like that, but more map based, where for a given day, can select a location on the map, and then it shows where on the horizon the sun will appear to set (or rise). . . . . . . . .

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Was a clear sky for most of the afternoon, so thought might be a good colorful sunset, so headed out and drove around to the north pier (so sunset behind pier).

Was more clouds near the horizon.... but sun broke thru some a couple times.....
                      P1110288 by Dave Redman, on Flickr

28 degF but calm, even down there.
                      ANd a few other folks there.
                      P1110317 by Dave Redman, on Flickr

P1110319 by Dave Redman, on Flickr

Sun pretty much disappeared behind more cloud cover, and about half the folk left.

Looking across channel to the south pier, which is connected to the state park. Lots more people over there, and most of them leaving.
                      P1110349 by Dave Redman, on Flickr

I hung around, waited for the pier catwalk lights to come on, and for the lighthouse and beacon lights to start flashing.
                      Also then some ice chunks started coming down the channel to add interest to some shots. Caught both lights on at same time.

P1110361 by Dave Redman, on Flickr

New leather gloves I got helped, since could operate camera with them on. Still not much for insulation, but better than the jersey gloves.
                      Last edited by Redman; 01-29-2021, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        I would like to find something like that, but more map based, where for a given day, can select a location on the map, and then it shows where on the horizon the sun will appear to set (or rise). . . . . . . . .
                        I use a phone app (android) called, Golden Hour, and I believe it does that.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Was a clear sky for most of the afternoon, so thought might be a good colorful sunset, so headed out and drove around to the north pier (so sunset behind pier).

Was more clouds near the horizon.... but sun broke thru some a couple times.....
                        P1110288 by Dave Redman, on Flickr
                        Nice photos...Like this one a lot. It's fun when you have a place you get to know....
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                          I use a phone app (android) called, Golden Hour, and I believe it does that.
                          Thanks. Will check it out.
                          Looks good.

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                          Nice photos...Like this one a lot. It's fun when you have a place you get to know....
                          Thanks.
                          Yes, Like other hobbies and endeavors, is a combination of fun and challenge and frustration.
                          And in this situation, there are a few photographers that have been there frequently. I am starting to recognize the regulars. And 2 or 3 of them posts pics on a local FB group (Grand Haven Informed).
                          In winter the sunset is behind the south pier (with catwalk and beacon tower and lighthouse) if go to the north pier/beach. In summer the sunset is near or behind the pier if go to beach on south side of channel (lot closer for me). In spring and fall the sunset is more inline with the pier when are further back down the channel, and for a few days in spring and again in fall the sun sets between the piers when further back down the channel.
                          ANd everyday the sunset can be different based on the clouds... and humidity. MOre humidity in summer seems to bring out the orange. And of course the lake can be different each day based on the winds.

Comment

You guys are good! Thanks for sharing👍
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I think Storm64 might have posted this some time ago but I'll do it again. Charmayne moved to Newark OH last August and though I have been out there a few times since, today was the first time I actually was able to see the Longaberger Basket Headquarters Building. I would love to go inside as the pictures I found online make it look very nice but it's for sale again. According to this article, it is the world's only building shaped like a basket, weighs over 9000 tons, and was considered a folly by many in the community when the company's owner set the plan in motion. According to Charmayne's boyfriend, there is talk they might tear it down in the next year or so.

A local Ohio developer hopes that the iconic, basket-shaped buidling, can come back to life as a boutique hotel or co-working space

My truck is at the bottom left for a size comparison. I was using my f1.8 35mm lens so I had to back up pretty far just to get the entire thing into the frame.

Longaberger Basket by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Longaberger Basket Sign by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                              Last edited by cowboyup3371; 01-30-2021, 06:03 PM.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Foucus was a bit off using the adapted lens, but I love these ice bells. Hoping for more chances to photograph them.
                                http://Ice bells by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                                sigpic

Glen
                                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X