Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H-D beware!

argonsagas is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Default H-D beware!

BMW is taking careful aim are the H-D market with their own BIG twin, big in both size and weight. Real-world performance is not yet known, but it all looks to be competititve with H-D

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/bmw-r-18-t...124100059.html
    "The only thing worse than ignorance is arrogance." AE

Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Hum.....

When I first saw the R18, with its big engine and 27inch seat height, I wondered how long till they had touring version. And that announcement has two.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.

Looks pretty decent for a barge. If they're after the Harley crowd they they should ditch the 1800cc badge and go with cubic inches ......something they will understand. LOL. Don't know what they'll do about the loud pipes though, boxers sound pretty odd with loud pipes.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Super Site Supporter

Sat on an R18 earlier this year, the worst aspects of navigating my size 14's around that engine on my Gold Wing was amplified even more. Good looking bike but you won't see me on one.

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Beemer bagger. Has a nice ring to it.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

A guy at work where I park has a naked version of the R18, it does look cool. How far separated is BMW motorcycle from their car/suv designers?
    1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by fbody_mike View Post
    A guy at work where I park has a naked version of the R18, it does look cool. . . . . .
    R18, were all "naked" up untill the new 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by fbody_mike View Post
    . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . How far separated is BMW motorcycle from their car/suv designers?
    My understanding is that in early-mid 90s the auto engineering and bike (mottrad) engineering combined (or at least could share personnel/resources).
    That idea is consistent with the fact that when think of the old BMWs airheads, seemily unchanged for decades, but then in mid-late 90s, and more so in early 2000s stated coming out with more and more models and more engines types. Models like GS, R, RS, RT, GLT, LT, XR, C to name a few.

I became aware of this when (in 2014) I got a 2002 R1150RT, which is first year for 1150RT with new engine, new ignition/fueling, new 6speed xmission, new braking system (with hydraulic servo pump for POWER brakes), new final drive . . . all of which had functional or reliability problems.
    And I was thinking BMW meant reliability. But I come to understand that reputation was from the 50s 60s 70s 80s, and really was that people knew how to deal with what few problems there were with the few long term models.
    I understand the models after the 1150s, say 1200s of 2005 and after are a lot better.

I will admitt that should take my opinion/observation knowing that I had bad experience(s) with the 02 R1150RT. And many folks say the '02 r1150rt was the worse reliable thing they ever made (sharpest looking, but most problem prone) (most impressive brakes, but problem prone).
    Last edited by Redman; Yesterday at 02:18 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.

Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Don't think your going to steal the average Harley owner with an opposing cylinder motor....Just don't see it.

Maybe some of the 'glide guys....
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Quote Originally Posted by Baatfam View Post
    Don't think your going to steal the average Harley owner with an opposing cylinder motor....Just don't see it.

Maybe some of the 'glide guys....
    Just wait until they go all apesh!t and start painting it orange and black.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.