Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
    this is where long a lens come in handy
    Oh I have a nice 100-300mm, and with MicroFourThirds cameras, that is the same as a 200-600 on a full frame.
    Although I have better luck with an old Canon FD 70-210 f/4. A little faster, and easier to manually focus.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      Oh I have a nice 100-300mm, and with MicroFourThirds cameras, that is the same as a 200-600 on a full frame.
      Although I have better luck with an old Canon FD 70-210 f/4. A little faster, and easier to manually focus.
      Yeah, ya sure do. Very nice set up Bob.
      That's a mirrorless camera, yes? I've no experience with mirrorless.
      Last edited by RustyTank; 11-22-2021, 06:38 PM.
      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Yeah, ya sure do. Very nice set up Baatfam.
        That's a mirrorless camera, yes? I've no experience with mirrorless.
        I like the mirrorless stuff. All of mine are Panasonics.
        That's my GX8, but mostly I use a GX85, because it is smaller, and has better stabilization.
        We've got few Mu43 users in this forum.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          I like the mirrorless stuff. All of mine are Panasonics.
          That's my GX8, but mostly I use a GX85, because it is smaller, and has better stabilization.
          When I find myself in the market for a new camera...hopefully a while from now...I'll have lots to learn. It's funny for me to think of my DSLR camera as being old, but because of how fast technology moves, it's a dinosaur.
          Ryan

Comment

I had huge technological gaps to jump. I went from film to digital point and shoot / cell phones to my mirrorless. Three years ago I didn’t even know what a mirrorless camera was, nor had I heard the term. This thread and conversations with Bob and Dave are why I ended up with my current camera and newly rediscovered joy of photography. I’m better for it. Thanks gents.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR View Post
              I had to look in the book to sort out the juncos. The bird we see here is commonly called a slate coloured junco and I learned it is actually a color variation of the dark eyed junco species as are the birds in Rusty’s pic. The old book calls the birds in the pics Oregon juncos. Official names do change periodically.
              I did a little digging Dave and your right, what we have in abundance in the SW Washington region is the Oregon junco. The slate colored jucos are beautiful. Sadly they don't make it round these parts.

A site called Birds of North America states the following:
              "There are two species of juncos in North America. The Yellow-eyed Junco, and the Dark-eyed
              Junco. T
              he Dark-eyed Junco has at least seven sub-species in its group. They are the Cassiar Junco,
              Gray-headed Junco, Oregon Junco, Pink-sided Junco, Red-backed Junco, Slate-colored Junco and the White-winged Junco
              "

Last edited by RustyTank; 11-22-2021, 07:36 PM.
              Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                Kerry, it’s a gorgeous shot in color or B&W. How’s the new Triumph run?
                I am a happy biker! I went to the DMV today and got title transferred and bike registered, now I just have to get it state inspected and then I'm street legal.

So far so good! I'm getting used to the bigger tank, and of course the lack of L bars (I do like those crazy L bars), and the chain/shaft difference. It runs real good, though the throttle feels a teeny bit gritty, but that could be my imagination. The display does not indicate what gear I'm in, but that's not hard to get used to. The seller changed the oil before selling it, so I don't have to investigate that for a while. Also the seller threw some Chase Harper saddlebags in, that was nice. Easy on and off, too.
                I think the turning radius might not be as tight as the GS, but I haven't really had a chance to put the bike through any good twisties yet.
                The windshield is small but it blocks a fair amount of wind!
                "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

When I find myself in the market for a new camera...hopefully a while from now...I'll have lots to learn. It's funny for me to think of my DSLR camera as being old, but because of how fast technology moves, it's a dinosaur.

Ya. I've gone mirrorless as well over the last few years and after a foray with Olympus and seeing how Bob loved his GX85 I also ended up with one.

Mark Creek Winter by soates50, on Flickr
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

When its 11PM, you're still a two hour drive from home, have to work tomorrow, but you want to do a quick check out of a spot....

The train was a nicely timed surprise. As always, I need to work on my panning game. As usual when a train arrives I'm not properly prepared, or second guess myself.
                    http://Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr

This is what caught my eye when Googling the area around the Susquehanna State Park. A dam that has a road over it.

Rt 95 bridge over the Susquehanna. I recently photographed this in the day and from the boat launch across the river.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                      When its 11PM, you're still a two hour drive from home, have to work tomorrow, but you want to do a quick check out of a spot....
                      I relate with this. Panning is something I need to work on as well. Isn't there a camera setting that works best for this? I can't remember.
                      Ryan

Comment

I haven't seen anything specific to panning. The pic was taken using a kit lens in autofocus and rushed so its hard to say if it was poor focus or poor panning- probably both. I'm sure that the low light situation didn't help. I've found that train pics in low light are difficult due to the intensity of the train lights. We have a train in town that goes right thru the middle of town once or twice a week that I want to photograph, but I miss it most of the time or catch it later at night at the dark edge of town when its switching a couple of cars.

A few times I've stood nearby the highway at home practicing panning and had a bit of success, but the pictures were boring. In those attempts I was using the manual lens and either set the focus on the highway divider or the lines on the road.
                        sigpic

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                          I haven't seen anything specific to panning. The pic was taken using a kit lens in autofocus and rushed so its hard to say if it was poor focus or poor panning- probably both. I'm sure that the low light situation didn't help. I've found that train pics in low light are difficult due to the intensity of the train lights. We have a train in town that goes right thru the middle of town once or twice a week that I want to photograph, but I miss it most of the time or catch it later at night at the dark edge of town when its switching a couple of cars.

A few times I've stood nearby the highway at home practicing panning and had a bit of success, but the pictures were boring. In those attempts I was using the manual lens and either set the focus on the highway divider or the lines on the road.

Glen, this is just some random website I found on panning but it speaks to what I was getting at. Shutter priority mode is what I was trying to remember. I don't know what that equates to on a mirrorless camera but maybe it's something worth looking into.
                          Ryan

Comment

Some bird photos taken from my backyard......
                            Nice.
                            My problem with birds is that they are small, and usally not close enough, and land behind something, and, oh, they have wings and they fly away. But you seem to do well with it.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by . . . . . . . . View Post
                              And most of them due to Mr Bob baatfam's influence. Including me.

I saw Bob with two Panasonics MicroFourThirds (gx1? gx85? gx8? gh5? gh-something) at Brown County rally, and was impressed with the small size, great for carrying on bike. At first I was concerened about sacrificing photo quality for the size, but then said, hey, its 16megapixle and got a used GX1, and then I got a used GX85 (after I dumped the GX1 out onto the highway).
                              Last edited by Redman; 11-30-2021, 02:32 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

When you do get a newer camera (asuming is smaller), learn about getting adapters so can use the older lenses that you have.

I have adapters so I can use my SLR lenses from the 1970s and 80s on my MicroFourThirds camera (manaul focus of course) (camera in ApPri only, set Ap on the lens).
                                Maybe with the lenses for you DSLR you can have focus and all exposure modes.
                                Last edited by Redman; 11-30-2021, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X