Registering Replacement Frame in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering Replacement Frame in UK

Sorry for such a basic question, but I need to get it right before I start cutting! My new (and first) project is a GS550, starting only with a frame and engine, which are matching. I'm not happy with the state of the frame, which has been hacked about by someone trying to build a bobber. I have bought a secondhand frame to either use parts from to fix the original, or to use as a straight replacement. My question is, if I do the latter, which I'd prefer, can I just send the V5 off with the new frame number, or is it going to be more complicated than that? It will never be worth restoring the bike to original, so the plan is to use it as a base for a cafe racer, street tracker type thing. I've contacted the DVLA, and after 20 mins on hold, spoke to someone who didn't convince me that they knew what they were talking about.
    Thanks, Pete

How to register your vehicle and the cost - new registrations, kit cars, rebuilds, radically altered vehicles, old and classic vehicles, vehicle identification numbers, Q plates

They seem to be saying that you can replace the frame and still keep the old reg no. if you can show that is the same spec as the original.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I missed that - it would appear to answer my question. Thanks

Comment

I've never dealt with them but if they are anything like our lot, there can be a world of difference between what they say and what they do.
        We are in cat license territory
        I imagine some of the UK guys will be along presently.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          I've never dealt with them but if they are anything like our lot, there can be a world of difference between what they say and what they do.
          We are in cat license territory
          I imagine some of the UK guys will be along presently.
          Sounds like this is a universal thing around the world. I can call four local DMV's, ask a question and never get the same answer from either. Even in the same office there can be one lady that will smile at you and process your paperwork smooth as butter and the next one will scribble all over the paperwork making your life miserable.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Have you a V5c for replacement frame ?, just use that. Otherwise I think your in bother, can you prove with paperwork that it's not stolen or registered as a Wright off. If your lucky and get it registered it could end up being on a Q plate, a vehicle built from multiple vehicle parts.
            My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Thanks for that. No I don't have one for the replacement. I think what I'll do is fill out the 'change vehicle details' section on the current V5, send it off with a crawly covering letter and see what happens, before I start fettling. Nothing to lose that way. I'll post the result!

Comment

Know a good welder... You could potentially replace the headstock from one to the other as they are not marked any other way...
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My '80 GS850 has no frame number at the moment, because when I was fitting a fairing I had to grind off a welded bracket that was from a previous fairing.
                  I could put the number of the other bike on that, if I wanted to.
                  But nah, that might be illegal.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X