Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS 250t parts questions

Hi all,

I have recently been granted the absolute privilege to buy a suzuki gs 250t in quite good nick, I am a first time motorcycle rider and I want to keep the bike in tip top shape. I have been looking around for part availability and was able to find most of them on wemoto.com, however I have been having difficulty finding cam chain guides and blades, I was hoping someone could help direct me to somewhere where I can purchase them so that I can replace them when needed. Haynes manual infers that these are the same across the models gs 250t, gsx250, gs 400, gs 450 twin engines.

Also, the bike needs a new chain and sprockets, alongside a front caliper overhaul and new fork seals. If there is anything in particular I should take note of when changing out these items I would appreciate it if someone could let me know. I was also thinking of putting on crash guards and sliders, as you can never be too careful, is there any in particular that can be recommended for the bike?

Thank you in advance for all the help.

Jake.

The camchain guides will be the same within the 250 family. The bigger twins are, well, bigger.
    Unless some hamfisted person actually breaks a guide, you should never need to replace one.

Comment

GSX 400 and GS450 guides are different - 450 longer. GS400 [roller crank 77-79] and GS450 are interchangeable. IOW, the four valve , screw adjust motors are the same and the two valve shim motors are the same. That said, I've never had the 250 four valve apart...

As Greg says, the guides last indefinitely - inside the motor...
      '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
        That said, I've never had the 250 four valve apart.
        I have - I've actually got one here. If you've had a GSX400 apart you'd know your way around it.
        Everything is just smaller...
        The one here is scheduled to have a frame built around it - which has shown up the 250's biggest problem.
        It's almost the same weight as a 400....

Comment

Haynes manual infers that these are the same across the models gs 250t, gsx250, gs 400, gs 450 twin engines.
          I'd take inferences with a big grain of salt ....certainly between the Twins and even several 4-cylinder you can swap parts if you are careful and lucky but mostly these'll be certain body parts,mufflers clutch, sprockets, stator, electrics....but engines ? the 450 has an entirely different top end .

I'd refer to CMSNL for a close look and part number comparison as to matching parts.

PS- You REALLY don't want to replace the rear tension blade on a whim. It requires lower cases to be split on the 8valve engine

CMSNLparts

Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-30-2019, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help and advice you've offered me, the advice of more experienced owners is much appreciated!

I have ordered all the relevant parts the bike needs for the time being, sprockets and chain kit, seals, calipre pistons and brake pads...

Thanks for the reference to CMSNL parts it is very useful.

Many Thanks,

Jake

Comment

Working...
            X