Bandits '77 GS750 Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandits '77 GS750 Cafe Build

Even though I really don't need another project... I bought 1977 GS750 for my Cafe Racer build. It showed up online for sale a week or so ago, low ball offered the seller and brought it home. It's in very rough shape, but I figured that's OK since a lot of the damaged parts won't be used anyways. The important parts seemed in good enough shape to be rebuilt. I also figured it'd be best to chop up a poor condition bike rather than a prime factory example. I intend on tinkering on my GS850G and this 750 off and on together, but we'll see how it goes. I may end up sticking with one of them until it's finished before starting on the other. If that happens, I suspect the 750 will my main focus. Anyhow, it's going to be a long term build because I want to take my time and not rush it. Below are some pictures of the bike in its current sad state. It's had a tough life. According to the speedo it has 18,500 miles so hopefully the engine will run well a little freshening up.

20190605_164112

Someone started rattle canning the engine and got over spray everywhere. They also sprayed the carbs, cable, spring, linkages and all. They're gummed up good.
    20190605_164222
    Last edited by 93Bandit; 06-08-2019, 08:44 PM.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Wow..that's an ambitious project to undertake. You're a brave man. A perfect candidate to do whatever you want to, though, that's for sure. I don't think anyone's gonna give you crap for ruining a survivor. I'll be anxious to see your progress.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

He is no more crazy than I am. Right?????
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
        Wow..that's an ambitious project to undertake. You're a brave man. A perfect candidate to do whatever you want to, though, that's for sure. I don't think anyone's gonna give you crap for ruining a survivor. I'll be anxious to see your progress.
        Ambitious, yes. Brave? Not in my opinion. It's definitely rough, but like I mention everything I'll be reusing looks to be rebuild-able. I think once I get it all cleaned up it'll be less intimidating. And like you said, I'd feel bad doing this to a survivor. And I know GSR wouldn't appreciate it! I will do my best to keep this updated but my life is taking a number of turns in the upcoming months so there likely won't be much progress until things settle. Time will tell!
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Hey guys, couple questions.

I found a guy parting out a 750G that has a tank in much better condition than mine, but he's unsure of what year it is. Based off the pictures and cast wheels, I suspect it's a 78 or 79. Where there any changes made from 77 to 78/9 that would prevent me from installing the newer tank on my 77 frame? I'd rather not have to make any modifications to the tank to get it to fit correctly. Any help is appreciated!

Comment

Finally had a chance to work on the 750 Cafe today, so I started by pulling the carbs from the bike and took them to the bench for tear down and cleaning. While looking at these pictures, note the multiple layers of paint; gray and gold. The dim-wit PO rattle canned multiple layers of paint on these things while they were installed on the bike. They got over spray everywhere on the bike. I'm not worried about the paint on the bike since I'm stripping and repainting it all. However, it sure made getting the throttle rod out a pain. It was gummed up good; I had to spray it down with PB blaster and work it back and forth gently with a rubber mallet until I got it all the way through. Absolutely every crevice, pivot, hole and spring are caked with gummy paint. Ugh...

Anyways, here they are on the bench.

Unfortunately due to family life, this is as far as I got with them this evening.

Having never worked on VM carbs yet, I began familiarizing myself with them as I torn them down. I noticed carb #4 choke valve stem was messed up and the fork arm, sleeve and snap ring were missing. Also, note the smashed area at the base of the choke section of the carb body. Is this damage going to affect the function of the carb? It looks like there's a passage connected to this, as if it's an adjustment or something?

The choke plunger was siezed in the carb body, so I sprayed some PB blaster in the hole and let it sit for a while. Came back and gave it a tug with my fingers and it came out. Here's a closer look at the damage from the PO... The scoring, brass coating is gone in places, and the deep gouges and dents. Can this part be purchased?

Lastly, some pictures of the pieces I'm missing for carb #4. This sleeve and snap ring for the choke fork lever...

... and the choke fork lever thing...

Also, this is the rubber seal that goes in the side of the carb that the throttle shaft goes through. Can I purchase these somewhere that won't break the bank? They still seem pliable but with the paint on them I'd like to replace them.

And last but not least, PO ruined all the bowl drain plugs. The slot for the screw driver are messed up and I'm probably going to have to damage the plugs to get them out, so add new bowl plugs to the list of parts...

In conclusion for this evenings post, I need some help from you guys:

- In picture 3, showing the choke side of the carb body, is the damage to the carb body below the choke channel an issue?
            - Choke parts I need: choke plunger, choke valve sleeve and snap ring, choke valve lever - where can I get these? Does anyone have some they'd be willing to send me for a fair price?
            - I need 4 carb bowl drain plugs.
            - I need to purchase the rubber throttle shaft grommets for carb bodies.

If anyone has these parts or a spare rack of 77-79 GS750 VM carbs they'd sell to me for a fair price, OR know where I can get all these parts without robbing the bank, PLEASE let me know!

Thanks guys.
            Last edited by 93Bandit; 09-29-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I found the choke plunger seal and bowl drain plugs on Z1 Enterprises. Does anyone know where I can get the other items I need?

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                I found the choke plunger seal and bowl drain plugs on Z1 Enterprises. Does anyone know where I can get the other items I need?
                This is what it's supposed to look like. It's a plug. This is drilled out during manufacturing on the carb body for a passageway. You now have a MAJOR vacuum leak. Might try JB Weld or find another set of carbs. It's not a choke. It's actually a fuel enrichment valve.

carb 1.jpg
                Current:
                1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
                1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
                1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
                1998 Chevy C2500
                1999 Rav4

Comment

Originally posted by unfocused View Post
                  This is what it's supposed to look like. It's a plug. This is drilled out during manufacturing on the carb body for a passageway. You now have a MAJOR vacuum leak. Might try JB Weld or find another set of carbs. It's not a choke. It's actually a fuel enrichment valve.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60406[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks for the tip. A few months ago I purchased another set of carbs off Ebay. They appear to be in great shape, however I haven't had the chance to work on them or any other bike things. It's been a cold winter in MI, and I don't have a heated garage. Plus, life keeps happening... Someday I'll get started on this thing again.

Comment

Working...
                  X