JIS Screwdrivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JIS Screwdrivers

Has anybody tried Vessel JIS impact screwdrivers? There are hundreds for sale on E-Bay but I've read differing reports about them. And what size (P2 or P3) should I get for the stator cover screws? Thanks
    1981 GS450

I have the Vessel Impacta P3 size, and it works OK, not as good as a normal impact driver with JIS bits. I think its too long so it makes it harder to get a square strike on the screw you're trying to remove. I wouldn't buy one again, but it does (somewhat) work.
    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

I've got 3 impact drivers...none are Vessel though I had the original in the red tin box years ago ...but they are very similar to this

Cheapo impact drivers work ok but come with bits that break Replacement Bits alone that have "shanks" 5/16 JIS are hard to find that justify the shipping but Vessel does have them... medium size you want generally for your covers but the bigger one..yes I have needed them all. Short lengths are the most useful.
      Most have removeable socket under their rubber cover that reveals a 1/2 drive for sockets. I was 35 years old before I discovered this....(sigh) It's very useful to free bolts and nuts...

You can cobble in a 1/4" smaller shank size by doing adaptations to this socket drive with your 101 piece socket set..(more sighs). and these are good, from here. I haven't yet tried the "impact screwdivers" with handles but I will if I ever wear out the first rendition...by the way-same principle -You can just tap a screwdriver while turning it and this sometimes works...but of course you can't SMACK just any old Stanley and not expect to get plastic shards in your eyeball.
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-13-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Vessel screwdrivers are awesome. I've got both from P1 to P3 (blue/green handle) as well as well as P2 and P3 Impacto. The Impacto's are not as heavy duty as a pure impact driver (which is recommended for engine cover screws) but they are very useful for things like carbs screws and the like. You can't go wrong with any of these.

Oh, and P3 for engine cover screws.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

We in Europe have the Pozi drive, which is a better fit to JIS screws than Philips is, so for years I was reasonably ok with that.
          Then, a couple of years ago, I bought a genuine JIS Impacta no.3 and it's been invaluable. I rapidly realised that whacking the bajasus out of it wasn't going to do it much good, so developed a technique of many lighter smacks while putting some turning force on it. Case screws that hadn't been off for 30 years took up to ten whacks, but they all came off.
          Whacking off in the workshop, yeah.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Site member Paul Jones sells quality JIS screwdrivers.
            He also sells JIS impact driver bits but i have not used them.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks Steve,

Yes, I do sell JIS screwdriver sets but also 1/4" impact bit sets. If you have one of the larger 3/8" impact drivers you can pick up an reducer. All products lifetime guaranteed.

individual product for GI18-01,Curtis.jpg

Cheers,
              Paul
              80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Working...
              X