86 GS400 S Spark plug caps question and part fitment inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 GS400 S Spark plug caps question and part fitment inquiry

Hello, I am struggling to find spark plug caps for my bike.
    I am wondering if electrical parts that fit older GS400's will fit and work on mine.
    I am aware that my bike is called a GSX400E in the rest of the world. If parts that fit lets say an early 80's GS400/GS450 (2 valves per cyl) fit, then I would appreciate where I could go.
    I tried looking on NGK for plugs that would fit.

Also a side note, I just bought new plugs, NGK Iridium IX (BR8EIX). The shop I used is Fortnine in Canada, the only bike I could find that was listed was an 86 GS450 L. The site says the plugs fit that bike, so I am assuming it will fit mine.
    Am I correct?

Ngk has info for caps here https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/file...lug_Covers.pdf

and plugs here https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/motorbikes_scooters.php

i think these are what you require NGK Part No: SB05F-R

Here is a link that shows a picture of the cap (it is in uk). https://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-ngk-re...-red-8567.html
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

The catalogues for plugs and caps are not so hard to find online.

NGK Iridium IX (BR8EIX) is in the catalogue as suitable for GSX400 It replaces D8EA, DR8ES-L so you should be fine.

Caps? I don't have the time right now I would get the ones that match your bike's old ones as to angle....
      If you get straight ones, you may or may not have difficulty because of the length of the plugwire....IE: bending the old wires too much

In Spark plugs, many of the other Suzuki bikes of our era use the same plug...and come to that so does my Honda

The BR8EIX is one I would like to try myself so report back...I know the irridium plugs are good in my car!
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-15-2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Be careful. NGK B series plugs are 14mm thread. D series are 12mm.
        The original GS400 uses 14mm plugs - the later GSX400 uses 12mm.

Another instance I think of the poor marketing decision to call all the family GS within the US. So much clearer when the 4V/cyl engines are GSX...

Comment

Hey-thats right! DR8EIX is in the 2017 catalogue

Well,HammerHT has already bought the plugs ...I've heard Fortnine has a pretty good return policy.

Comment

Indeed, I bought a pair myself lately (DR8EIX) and these fit the 81 gsx400 twins I have.... Pricey, not required, but hey, candy for my baby. They deserve a treat every so often.

Comment

Working...
            X