Storm's Adventure Out West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storm's Adventure Out West

As I'm preparing my motorcycle for its journey out west I thought I'd start a thread to tell my story along the way. I have 11 days of vacation from work and I plan on using them all! That will give me 18 days of on the road! I'm kicking off my vacation by going to see Phish in concert. Then it's off to the GSR rally in Bedford! The nice thing about this vacation is I don't have any real plans. My last trip out west, I had to be in Bisbee Arizona by a certain date... Nope, not this time. If I want to stop to see the world's biggest ball of string, I can! I plan on taking U.S. route 50 west most of the way. Most of the way to where? I don't know, RT 50 ends in Sacramento California... I'll be riding my Yamaha FJR. My last trip out to Arizona I was on my 79 1000e. What a great touring motorcycle the 1000e is and what a fun we had. But I think the water cooling and extra horsepower will be a good thing as I'm blasting across the Nevada desert! It will sure be nice to forget about work and the daily routine for a few weeks. I love being out on the road. 🌞
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
    If I want to stop to see the world's biggest ball of string, I can! I plan on taking U.S. route 50 west most of the way.
    Sounds good, Norm. A relaxed plan, or even a lack of plan vacation is the best. The closest thing to a "plan" should be to hit any stops on the way there (wherever "there" might be), just make sure you leave enough time to book it home.

When we went out to Durango in 2005, our plan was to go north to Montrose and catch US 50 all the way to Cincinnati, then come north to the house. I have been on most parts of that route over the last 50+ years that I have been traveling, but still haven't done the entire length in one shot.

For your detouring pleasure, there are several claims to the largest ball of twine. Fortunately, one of them is in north-central Kansas, just 100 miles north of US 50. If the ball of twine isn't quite enough to get you to divert off your intended path, just another 20 miles north of that is the Geographic Center of the contiguous United States. I have been there, and the only thing to see there is a marker stating that it's the center and that you are there.

If you are into seeing some of the oddball bits of history, the Barbed Wire Museum is in LaCrosse, which is a bit west of the ball of twine, and only 50 miles north of US 50. Much more interesting than it sounds, it appeals to my (limited) interest in history.

A little bit east of Dodge City on US 54 is Greensburg, home of the World's Largest Hand-dug Well. I have gone past it, but never stopped. Not sure I have missed anything.

Dodge City has significance in the Old West and has many places for tourists. If you continue west and a bit south on US 54, you will get to Liberal, where you can see Dorothy's house from the Wizard of Oz. I have been through Liberal many times, never knew the museum was there.

On the other hand, you can follow the common wisdom that there is NOTHING to see in Kansas, so just book it across and get to Colorado, where the riding is MUCH better after you get west of I-25.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Norm, I can tell you a few things about us50. Through Colorado and Kansas. That is what I just did, although in a easterly direction, a couple weeks ago.

Western Colorado (although about 10 miles of suburbia near i70) to eastern Colorado is great. East of salida follows the Arkansas river for a couple hours, rock face on one side with road going around blind curves, and river on other side, sometime with not even a guard rail between pavement and river.
      when going east I started seeing snow covered mountain peaks in distance, and then they were taking up entire view ahead. And then started climbing. About 8000 feet started seeing some snow in places. By 10,000 was seeing more snow, at 11,000 was full snowcover. Air temp was maybe 50.
      then several miles of 6% grade.

eastern Colorado might as well be Kansas.

i did take us50 across Kansas (till i35). It Is full sped ahead 65-70 speed limit, traffic about 80. Goes around most small towns, so is not really that much slower than slabbing it. Can easy bypass towns or can easy opt to roll thru and see the little old small towns.

assuming I can make BC, and assuming I can pack maps (you know, those things printed on paper) we can review a few things.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I'm subscribed. If you make it to Nevada or Sacramento I'll take a ride down and meet up. I plan on doing US-50 in July with Gustov to the Colorado Springs area. I remember riding in a car on 50 from Saramento through eastern Colorado in 1966 on our way to Virigina. Look forward to seeing how much I can reconize of the scenery along the way
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Hey Norm!

Lots of adventures going to the west! Hopefully, you can post pics...enjoy and ride safe!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I'm now done with work, I'm officially on vacation! I'm going to a concert tonight, then off to Bedford Indiana tomorrow morning! 🌞
            My Motorcycles:
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)

Comment

Safe travels Norm. See you in Bedford.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Subscribed to tag along on your adventure. At least I'll get to participate in the first part at the rally.

Having recently completed a 9 day motorcycle tour, I can say there is something special about waking up every day, with my only responsibility being to pack the bike and ride, then unpack and relax. Day after day. I thought I might tire of it, but turns out 9 days is too short!

It was a real shock going back to work that first day after the tour!
                Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I'm kicking off my vacation by going to see Phish in concert.
                  Considering all the rain we have had, that is a VERY appropriate concert to attend.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Safe travels Norm. Enjoy.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'm on US 50 just SE of Kansas City, got in last night after leaving Raton, NM Wednesday morning. A storm here killed today's riding so I won't make it to Bedford for the rally but do plan on staying on 50 into SE Ohio. It's a great road although I caught I-70 across Kansas so I didn't have to downshift.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I love loosely planned moto-trips. We'll be doing a mini (4 day) one starting the weekend after this.

Safe travels and much joy to you!
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

After leaving the rally Sunday morning, I pretty much rode in the rain all day. I decided to pick up the highway to make some time. I did make it to Kansas city, about 550 miles. Today I woke up to beautiful weather, sunny and cool! I reconnected with route 50, I rode that across Kansas to Dodge City Kansas(only 300 miles) after doing a little sightseeing, I decided to get a hotel room and dinner and stay in Dodge for the evening. Tomorrow will be fun heading into the Colorado Rockies. 👍

This picture was taken at a rest stop. I shows all the trails and railroad lines going through Kansas...
                          Attached Files
                          My Motorcycles:
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)

Comment

Just left the Rockies on Wednesday, there was snow all the way down to 7000 feet Friday. Stay warm!
                            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I decided to get a hotel room and dinner and stay in Dodge for the evening. Tomorrow will be fun heading into the Colorado Rockies. 
                              About 15 miles west of where the bypass joins US50 on the west side of Dodge is the town of Cimarron. That is where my bike got loaded into a U-Haul after breaking the u-joint in the driveshaft.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X