Storm's Adventure Out West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norm, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the Rocky Mountains and all those mountains switchbacks and twisties and the incredible epic views! I will be living vicariously through your stories and photosI, as I'm just getting back on my bike again 3 months after knee surgery...

Enjoy those incredible roads, the peace & solitude of being out west, and time away from work not having to worry about much of anything, especially with a nearly brand-new touring rig!
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Today's weather was beautiful, a little warm towards the afternoon 93°. I was happy to get out of Kansas and seeing the foothills of the Rockies. I was a little concerned about the wind in Pueblo. I call the hotel in Salida, the girl said it wasn't to windy here. So I proceeded. What a beautiful ride! Rt50 parallels a rapid flowing river and railroad tracks. Oh, earlier in the day I got a free bike wash. (The motorcycle was covered in bugs and bird, it was gross) the attendant said all bikes that pull in are free! We chit chatted for a little bit what a nice fellow... Anyway, what direction to go tomorrow? Continue west or drop down to Flagstaff?
      Attached Files
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Spend a few more days in Colorado

Anything west of I25 is worth riding.
        Currently in the Stable :
        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Yah, 50 follows the Arkansas river for quite a ways there, and your picture shows it well. Glad that you enjoyed it.

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
          .... Anyway, what direction to go tomorrow? ...............
          I am interested to hear if you continued west on 50 out of Salida, and your experince going over Continental divide (11,300 ft) just west of Saladia.

hee hee
          the river is rapid because the snow is still melting at 8-9-10-11 thousand feet
          (or so it was 1st week june when i went through)
          Last edited by Redman; 06-27-2019, 11:23 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I figure I should check in. I had a great time yesterday visiting with the one and only Peppermint Patty. She showed me all around Sedona Arizona. Pointing out the names of the different rock formations. I wanted to take her out to her favorite Mexican restaurant, but it was closed.... Plan B was she'd cook at home. What a delicious meal of Steak, Potatoes and Fried Zucchini! Patty showed me her legendary GS-1100E and her trophy collection. I don't know if it was something in the air, but I had the best night's sleep I've had in a few days! I got a early start this morning, the weather was beautiful a cool 61° but I knew it was going to be getting HOT. I rode through Sedona all the way to Flagstaff. Then I went on a trek across the Arizona/Utah desert. The FJR was running a little hotter than usual, but it never missed a beat. I made it to Moab Utah. I'll probably start heading east tomorrow, hitting Colorado again. 👍
            Attached Files
            My Motorcycles:
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)

Comment

sounds like you are proceeding well.
              And saw Grandma Peppermint Patty!

east, into coloraqdo again?
              Heading back toward home?
              yah, i suppose, is getting to be the end of the week.
              Last edited by Redman; 06-28-2019, 10:21 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Nice riding! There's a gentleman on the ZRX forum doing the identical ride. From Cincinnati to the west coast. Watch for a 1400 Concourse with a fancy 1 wheel trailer. That route sounds very fun a doable with the gf(not scary,lol) Ride on brother, sorry I missed the Bedford Rally, I was Ky/Va Memorial week. Try to write it up if I ever get some time from summer
                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Well I reluctantly had to say goodbye to Colorado, but I told her I'd be back. Not to much excitement yesterday. I did go to the Big Texan restaurant, in Amarillo Texas the one that has the 72 ounce steak, if you can eat it all it's FREE! No I didn't try... Today was just a blast across Oklahoma. I passed these guys on Harleys three times. We were just passing each other all across the state. Tomorrow I'm off the highway. I'm going to venture into Tennessee/Kentucky. Oh, I'm in Russellville Arkansas now... Okay, here's a picture of the 72oz Steak... Ugh!
                  Attached Files
                  My Motorcycles:
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)

Comment

Wow man!!!! This is awesome!
                    So glad your enjoying your ride!
                    72 Oz steak is a bit too much for me.
                    Ride safe buddy!
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

We go atv riding a few miles north of Russellville near Dove (Moccasin Gap), and if you want to see a pretty road go north and ride up HWY 7 .
                      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I had a great ride yesterday! I shot over to Bowling Green Kentucky to check out the National Corvette Museum. Wow what a awesome place with some amazing automobiles. I had to enter the drawing for a 2020 Corvette. The drawing is on August 31, a day before my B-day so it will be fun picking up my new Vette! Haha fingers crossed... I'm at a girl friends house in Florence Kentucky. We were supposed to get up early and do the Bourbon tour, but after last night's festivities I don't think that is going to happen today... I'm only 250 miles away from home, I might just do that....
                        My Motorcycles:
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)

Comment

So your Bday is Aug 30th, aay Norm?

Glad you are enjoying your roadtrip. Thanks for posting updates.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                            So your Bday is Aug 30th, aay Norm?

Glad you are enjoying your roadtrip. Thanks for posting updates.

Ed
                            I read that as September 1st.......? Happy B-Day!
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                              I read that as September 1st.......? Happy B-Day!
                              OMG!

I read that wrong! Lol

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Really enjoyed your visit! Wish it could have been longer... Waiting to hear you're home, safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X