What's your favorite tank treatment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favorite tank treatment?

I have a GS1100ESD tank that has been sitting with some old gas in it for maybe 15 years, and it is crusty inside, really crusty.

I've already started with my usual Berryman, CLR, Evaporust, juices to little avail. I'll likely progress to muriatic acid soon, but I thought I'd solicit ideas from your collective wisdom first.
    I've now already screwed up the (formerly very pretty gloss black) paint, so I will now need a respray in any event, so any sort of nasty, caustic stuff is now fine with me.

I've heard good stuff about the 3 step treatment and sealer from Bill Hirsch, but I'm sure there must be home-brew remedies that work just fine and won't run $60.

Love to hear your own ideas.

Thanks,
    Frank

Varnish needs to be removed before you can derust and the chemicals are different between these two treatments. Berryman's should remove the varnish, but you need to allow enough time and keep the surface submerged before the sauce can do it's thing. After the varnish is out I prefer to use phosphoric acid to derust. It's the standard product for derusting in industry and works well. To derust a tank it takes about 24 hours or so, but that may have to be extended if the rust is extreme. Anyway, there are dozens of threads in the archive about this topic so I'll stop here and encourage you to search out more info.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I assume you've already tried putting something small and metal (I like steel BBs) and shaking the bejesus out of it? After you get all the big flakes off with that, you can clean up the surface with a 1:1 mixture of fine sand and distilled water (usually used half a gallon each) and more shaking. Does a really good job to prep the surface for sealing.
      1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
      1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
      Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Rust_to_Redemption View Post
        I assume you've already tried putting something small and metal (I like steel BBs) and shaking the bejesus out of it? After you get all the big flakes off with that, you can clean up the surface with a 1:1 mixture of fine sand and distilled water (usually used half a gallon each) and more shaking. Does a really good job to prep the surface for sealing.
        Yeah, I use a chain inside instead of dealing with lots of nuts & bolts or whatever - I like that I can grab one part and get it all out, and it's done a great job for me in the past. I eventually get my 20-yr old twin boys to do the shaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Varnish needs to be removed before you can derust and the chemicals are different between these two treatments. Berryman's should remove the varnish, but you need to allow enough time and keep the surface submerged before the sauce can do it's thing. After the varnish is out I prefer to use phosphoric acid to derust. It's the standard product for derusting in industry and works well. To derust a tank it takes about 24 hours or so, but that may have to be extended if the rust is extreme. Anyway, there are dozens of threads in the archive about this topic so I'll stop here and encourage you to search out more info.
          I'll peruse the other threads, thanks. I had the Berryman's in there for two days, I think, but it does look like it isn't de-varnished yet. I'll just have to give this one some more time.

Comment

Something small with sharp edges works best to reach all the nooks and cranes and scrub the metal. This won't derust the tank though, for that you need chemical assistance.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Has anyone gotten a radiator shop to dip the whole tank in their acid bath? I have an old tank that I might try that on. I was gonna repaint it anyway.....

Comment

I used metal rescue on my cooley tank after using cider and small bolts, washers and nuts to shake the rust off....

Metal rescue filled to the top sit for 48 hrs then sealed the filler hole with a lacrosse ball and tipped it upside down for another 48hrs....rinsed out with Methyl Hydrate a few times....no rust again....best part is Metal Rescue will not harm your paint and can be used over again.
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL View Post
                  Has anyone gotten a radiator shop to dip the whole tank in their acid bath? I have an old tank that I might try that on. I was gonna repaint it anyway.....
                  This is the route I took with mine. As hard as I tried, I could not get all the old liner out, especially the hump in the center of the tank. My radiator guy sent the tank out to someone who then burned all the old liner out. After that was done, he dipped it in acid and put in a new liner.
                  FWIW, this radiator guy is the son of a guy I have known for years. He does restorations on old items such as cars, trucks, and tractors. He is a perfectionist so I have complete confidence his work was done right and I will never have to worry about my tank again.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Yeah, the TIQ (Tank in Question) is from my 83 GS, and it was never lined, but I do have another one, on my KZ750 twin, that has an old Kreem job from the previous owner, and the liner is peeling and generally self-destructing. Likely due to ethanol and occasional fuel treatments, and maybe just a bad choice in tank liner to start with. I have a hard time keeping the pilots clean and usually have to partially choke it to get a higher idle. Since it is a running bike I can ride right now, and I can deal with the high idle, I'll rework that tank after I finish getting my GS and ZRX fully road-worthy :-) I want a clean tank for the twin, since I'm going to install VM34 carbs, and I don't need to gunk those up, too.

Comment

BTW, the chain I use to treat tanks inside is well known on the ZRXOA forums... from Lowes, it is a #200 twist chain, Blue Hawk brand. They have twisty flats on the them and dig in pretty well. Easy to remove at the end of the process, and reusable.

Comment

I appreciate all the ideas. I might just consider a radiator shop; sounds like a good idea.

Comment

I know it won't help you much, but you asked about "favorite treatments".

MY favorite treatment is fresh gas every once in a while, which I insist on burning off, several miles at a time.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            I know it won't help you much, but you asked about "favorite treatments".

MY favorite treatment is fresh gas every once in a while, which I insist on burning off, several miles at a time.

Amen, brother

Comment

Good radiator shop. Look for one that is known for doing tank restoration. My XLCR tank took nearly a month to clean the 40 years of crud out of it. But, no acids, and the actual holes that were poorly repaired with fiberglass were properly patched by brazing.
                              Wasn't cheap, but with an original tank, it's with the money.
                              The Three Horsemen
                              '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
                              '83 GS1100ES
                              ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
                              Porkchop Express

Comment

Working...
                              X