Total novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total novice

So here we go! another project. I have Fridays and Mondays every 4 week to work on my bike. There are a few parts missing and I cannot wait to get started with it.

My first goal is to get the engine running. I have got a new air filter, and oil filter with some new oil and fuel. I just need to get the engine running.

Once that's done, I'll strip it all down, and get it rebuilt to its original speck.
    I have seen a lot of beautiful brat trackers and cafe racers and I am tempted. But the bike is old and I think there is something cool in old original bikes.

Please be prepared for a bombardment of questions who ever is willing to listen and reply.
    Attached Files

Welcome
    He're a couple of tips to get you started on the form.
    1. Put your bike year, and specific model in your signature, then you'll never have to answer that question or forget to put it in your thread.
    2. get on a free pic hosting site like imgur, and copy and paste the BBCode of the images into your posts. There are different sizes to choose from. I copied your pic to my imgur and pasted a Huge Thumbnail below. Doing it this way, the image shows up large in the post so people won't have to click on it to see an only-slightly-better version of it. Also, by linking pics this way you can paste up to 10 images in one post, rather than just one.
    Welcome
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I just finished an “freshen up” yesterday on my GS and I was a complete novice when I started (and still am actually). There is a wealth of information on this forum and many members will walk you through any problem areas.

Good of luck and hopefully it won’t take you almost 18 months to finish like it did me
      1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
      16 Valve DOHC
      Original Owner

Comment

To add to what Rich said, post your project and questions in the appropriate forum

This one is for a special bike, for the forum leader
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Check out the mega-welcome in my signature, it's the gateway to everything you ever wanted to know about these bikes.

Definitely check out LOTO's thread, one of the best restorations I've seen here.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Agree with all replies below, but my eyes are going bad and I was wondering: have we yet even learned the year and specific model?

We'll assume it's a Suzuki, but can we get more specific?

And of course, welcome to the site. You're in the right place.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

So I have done what you suggested Rich82GS750TZ, the Imgur thing I am probably going to have to do a bit of work on.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Chargeblender.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2019, 05:30 AM. Reason: trying to get the images to work

Comment

on a pc, here's a screenshot of what you get when you click on one of your pictures. You get a bunch of choices for what kind of file you want to copy, and at various sizes at the bottom(pic below is a large thumbnail). you can experiment with the sizes and what looks best for a given picture on the forum, the important part is you want to copy the BB Code, and paste it right into your post, no need to mess with the image button in the forum toolbar. On the mobile version of Imgur, I haven't figured out a way to get the BB code. Makes it hard to do this from a phone. Hope this helps.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Last edited by timebombprod; 03-19-2020, 05:02 AM.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

omg i just realised this was posted 5 months ago lol
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                    X