Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Parts websites?

PartsOutlaw got a good chunk of change from me. I bought my exhaust and rear shocks from Z1.

Ed

EDIT: I was never in a hurry to get my parts.
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 08-01-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

The fact that you infer my non-acceptance is what I'm talking about. (31Jan2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

I moved away from Parts Outlaw awhile ago when their shipping times became too great to be useful for "emergency" work, but still use them when I have plenty of lead time. Like Partzilla and I suspect most online retailers, they don't warehouse anything and are more of a parts gatherer/reshipper.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

FYI: I just ordered 2 replacement cam cover screws and the tripmeter reset knob for the speedometer from Partsoutlaw. I thought $10 was a little high to ship 3 screw sized items so I searched for a discount code. It's funny because I searched on several coupon sites and did not find one and was resigned to spend $14, which was $6 less than Babbits wanted for the same items....and a second before I confirmed the transaction I look at the top of partsoutlaw page, the actual checkout page and it says enter 'OUTLAW19'

to get $5 shipping. So it appears partsoutlaw wants to give you $5 shipping but requires you to read their offer.... the sites that usually collect those coupons missed it. I backed up, entered the code, got $5 shipping and confirmed the transaction for just under $10. It's my first purchase with partsoutlaw.

one tip I can give is to go to the exploded diagram, get the actual suzuki parts number and then cross reference it in ebay and another parts site to get some clue what the value and availability of the part is. this eliminates sellers who don't know the part number of what they are selling but it's a start. I just had to replace the gear indicator switch because the neutral wire had broken at the sharp bend near the unit and the 2+4 wires were shorting to each other: Partsoutlaw wanted $54....Babbits wanted $55 and ebay had one for $14. I took my chances on the used one and it is working. It's a balancing act between value and reward.

Parts Outlaw are painfully slow, 10 days to two weeks wait. Sorry, I won't be going back there to save $5 on shipping anymore. My fav is Everett Powersports for whatever they sell. I realize they don't sell all the parts I am looking for but what they do sell they sell for a good price and they ship FAST!
    GS550T 1981
    GS850G 1983
    GS650G 1982
    GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Remember, no one has parts in their store for our bikes or even some of the newer models. They have to go to the warehouse to get them which can take up to a week. They then have to turn around and ship them to you. If you are using a local dealer like Everett would be to you, it wont take as long as going from Florida to the PNW. Parts outlaw is good because their prices are cheaper and I’ll shop there first for most things. However, if I’m in a hurry then I’ll suck up the extra cost and get it from my local shop

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

I have used Ron Ayers on many occasions and love em. Their website is great, and easy to confirm you are selecting the correct part. Prices and shipping times are reasonable. Only part that gets a bit expensive is the shipping cost, which appears high. Sometimes i will select a part on Ron Ayers to get the part number, then buy it off of ebay due to lower prices.
    1980 GS550E

How's it going Steve (GS Whisperer) Mike from Cincinnati with the GS1100E You helped me tune the carbs. I have since sold that bike. it developed a horrible low end knock. I'm riding a 1999 zrx1100 now but I needed a Suzuki in my life. I was given the worst one on the planet but it's well on its way to a new life! Just need a few things spoked rims, flat seat and some other odds and ends. If I ever get it done we should go on a short ride!

haha thought I was the only cheap a$$ that diid that. partzilla seems to work out for me, I've added a 1.50 item to get free shipping before, then wondered when it got to my house WTF was I thinking. Bourbon could have been involved on either end of the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck78 View Post
    I actually will typically load my shopping carts full of the exact same parts at both parts outlaw and partzilla, and compare total price with shipping.
    Parts Outlaw is a big dealership with a substantial internet prescence. Partzilla is a big conglomerate huge online parts dealer, including boats.net or .com and others...
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by oldGSfan View Post
    haha thought I was the only cheap a$$ that diid that. partzilla seems to work out for me, I've added a 1.50 item to get free shipping before, then wondered when it got to my house WTF was I thinking. Bourbon could have been involved on either end of the transaction.
    Standard practice in my household, too (minus the bourbon)
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

I most often buy Suzuki bits from OnlineCycleParts.com, which happens to be the online arm of a large dealership about 15 miles from my house:
    https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/oem...torcycle/parts

They also sell Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, KTM, and Polaris, FWIW.

Anyhoo, their prices are within pennies of the cheapest of the rest, but I save a couple of days and shipping costs because I can go pick up the parts when they come in. It's a nice little ride and I get to slobber on some new bikes and stuff.

And their service has been quite good, too -- they ALWAYS call when the parts arrive (seriously, it's amazing -- every other place I've ever ordered any car or motorcycle parts from has NEVER actually called) and if something is back-ordered, they call me and offer solutions. For example, I once ordered clutch plates that were back-ordered, and they offered to obtain an aftermarket kit and discount it to the same price so I could get back on the road. (Yes, aftermarket cost more than OEM...)

So, the moral of the story is to poke around locally too -- you may find that a local-ish dealer also has an online storefront that can save you bundle in shipping costs and a lot of time. They don't always make this info easy to figure out, so it takes some detective work. And if you waltz into the dealer and force the parts monkey to wake up, you will pay a lot more. You only get parts at a discount when you do the work and everything is automated.

As Scott noted above, you need to make sure your mental model aligns with the reality. Absolutely NO ONE actually stocks very many, if any, OEM parts. (Some take this to stupid extremes: I once walked into a rather large Suzuki dealer and asked for a V-Strom oil filter. Suzuki has used maybe two or three oil filters across their entire product line for decades, but the dealer did not keep any filters in stock. They offered to order it for me for $18... Uh, nope.) They ALL have to order from the manufacturer warehouses, wait at least three days for the parts to arrive, repackage, and then ship to you. It sucks, but that's the way it is. If you can scare up a dealer that's somewhat local, and you have the flexibility to go pick up your goodies during business hours when they arrive, you can save a lot of time.

Also, some smaller volume dealerships manually place parts orders only once or twice a week; watch out for this because it can also cost you a lot of time. Most of the ones that have gone to the trouble of setting up an online storefront have automated the process so the orders are transmitted to the OEM warehouses right away.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.