'83 gs450L died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 gs450L died

hello everyone first post(again i got booted due to inactivity) but I have hopefully an easy question.
    My 83 just locked up after putting a couple hundred dollars into it getting it back on the road. I've not had time to tear it down yet but i have a pretty good idea that the head was starved of oil and caused a failure.
    The question is if its a head issue (clog due to metal debris or something of that nature) or a cam issue do i rebuild or buy a new complete engine
    If it is a head issue what other years will fit? is it only the 83-85? years that ran for that L series? or can i run an older head with little to no modification? Any help would be great and i cant post pictures when i get it apart if anyone is interested.

"The question is if its a head issue (clog due to metal debris or something of that nature) or a cam issue do i rebuild or buy a new complete engine"
    Why are you assuming a head or cam issue..? Describe how "it locked up" with a little detail to add clues!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

hey sorry i guess i should have said that. long story short previous owner put an exhaust camshaft due to knocking in the head. they had said there was a ton of scoring on it and had to pry it out. when i fired it up i knew it was knocking but didn't think much of it. Likely because i was just excited to ride and put any sort of reason out of my head. when i was a block from my house it made a metal on metal sound and a screech and shut down. when i went to put the start button it just dimmed the lights and wouldn't turn over. Tried again and it fired for a second and died again. Like i said i get that this post is a bit premature with me not digging threw the engine yet but my day job cuts into motorcycle time haha. Thanks again for any help.

Comment

"but my day job cuts into motorcycle time haha. "

Hopefully your day job is in better shape than this bike sounds....inheriting a previous owners attempts to fix issues requires a thorough check of his work. Assuming all is well is not a good plan as your life is at stake. I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from your description. My wild quess is that after PO fiddled with exhaust camshaft, he failed to get timing chain tensioner correct and your brief ride caused timing chain to jump causing interference with pistons and valves - but I'm just quessing.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Pull the valve cover and post some pictures
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
          X