1983 gs750td

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs750td

Looking for detailed info regarding the D model (1983 750T)
    I bought this used of course. Very little history.
    I am having a serious issue mating the airbox boots to the carb intake.
    It's like the box is on the wrong angle to meet the carbs flush. So there is just barely any boot holding the bottom of the carbs. Meets flush on top.

The question, or curiosity is that pics on typical parts websites show two different airbox. A "D" model that appears smooth on the front bottom. And a "Z" model that has a corrugated look.

My bike is a 1983, which makes it a D.
    The airbox I have for it "appears" to be a Z style. Because of the difference between the two images I see on parts websites.

This my question. The fact that I can't make the airbox fit properly, must be because it's the wrong model airbox? Or is there no difference, and I'm doing something wrong? Is there a mod anyone can suggest?

Not many 1983 gs750t D models out there. If you have one let me know.

The parts fiches that I looked at say the airbox (the thing between tha carbs and the air cleaner ) are the same on both the D and the Z . But the air cleaner box is different somehow.
    When you acquired this critter, were the carb boots not in carbs? Old dried boots are painful to reattach. Have you tried first getting airbox boots into carbs and then worry about pulling the air cleaner assembly forward into airbox?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ask owners to post photos of their airbox in place, all angles.
      They may answer questions.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

OP, take a look at this thread, post #18.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Putting on air box

See attached. The airbox was on, and I never noticed if there was an alignment issue the first time I took it off. The boots are somewhat pliable.
          IMG_20190629_221610.jpg
          I will be ordering new boots next pay day. For both sides of the carb. I'm thinking that will solve the issue

Comment

IMG_20190701_104827.jpg
            Here a Pic of the top end. Bottom is too dark to see

Comment

Thanks, not sure if I'm any clearer, but new boots all the way around should fix it I think.

BTW, this bike I purchased from steel toed tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                Thanks, not sure if I'm any clearer, but new boots all the way around should fix it I think.

BTW, this bike I purchased from steel toed tank.
                I was just browsing some of my started threads looking for a pic and came across some pics from SteeltoedTank!

How is he? You may have a master cylinder lever that I sent him from my parts "T". He had 2 "Ts" if I recall. He may have used it on the "Z" and not the "D" you have...

Tell him Ed says, Hello!

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                X