Help needed troubleshooting Ignition System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed troubleshooting Ignition System

I've got an 82 650 that's only running on cylinder 1 & 4. How do I know this, the plugs for cylinder 2 & 3 look brand new after being in the bike for about a month.

I swapped the coil that runs cylinder 1 & 4 with the coil that runs 2 & 3. Both coils with run 1 & 4. Both coils fail with 2 & 3.

I'm now trying to track this problem down using the clymer manual and it's making me want to track down and torture the writer. I'm not educated with electrical work but I do know how to follow instructions so if any one can give me better instructions on how to track this electrical gremlin down it would be much appreciated.

Just please don't say things like 'use the R1 scale for ohms'. There's no damn R1 scale written anywhere on any multimeter I've ever seen so what the hell do you mean clymer. Or just give really vague instructions like 'disconnect the connector and check the signal generator side' but then fail to identify which side is the signal generator side. It's not that hard to say check the end with the female connection or male. It's cramped in there and the engine is still hot, I can't just shove my hand in there and tracked where the wires are going. Come on Clymer, put a little effort into this. Sorry, I had to vent about that horrible half assed manual.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2019, 07:49 PM.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Have you pulled your ignition cover off of (i assume) the right side like mine? Inspected for burnt/broken wires?

You also have a orange/white? for battery positive with key on. make sure both of those have power when the key is turned on.

Looks like you have a white and then a black/yellow wire for your signal wires to your coil. check those with a test light for blinky ( clip to known good ground ) and crank the engine. test light should blink fast as its reading rpms sorta.

P.S. don't ride it like that because un-burnt fuel is a wonderful solvent and it'll wash those cylinders out.

hope this helps. I am going to dinner. Be back on 9:30p.m.ishhhh florida time

this is exactly what i did today to test my new to me 1977 GS 750 with no spark. It has a dyna s ignition system conversion installed. Both coils are dead.

FYI: don't leave your key on for more than a minute or 2 without starting the engine because this can overheat and burn coils if done often. If you have a points ignition system this can weld points shut/burn points or condensers up
      Current:
      1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
      1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
      1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
      1998 Chevy C2500
      1999 Rav4

Comment

Thanks all! I spent more time working on this and swapped the CDI box and signal generator with spares I had. Still can't get cylinder 2 & 3 to spark. Looks like the timing for my ignition advance is off. So I'm boned. Well, I do have a spare lower end so I guess I can put the top end and swap that out. Damn.

So what's the danger with riding on 2 cylinders? I've been doing that for the past month apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by MechMessiah View Post
          Looks like the timing for my ignition advance is off. So I'm boned. Well, I do have a spare lower end so I guess I can put the top end and swap that out. Damn.

This makes no sense.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Why would you want to swap the bottom end? I'm not familiar with this bike so do you have a igniter or points and condensers ignition? If points are there two sets of points?
            heve you checked you have voltage to the coil for 2 &3? Undo the connector to that coil put your meter on 0-20 volt dc put the negative to earth and positive to what should be the live side/feed and see if your getting 12v
            yes do not ride it until the problem is resolved.
            Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 07-14-2019, 04:01 AM.
            The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
            1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
            past bikes. RF900
            TL1000s
            Hayabusa
            gsx 750f x2
            197cc Francis Barnett
            various British nails

Comment

This is unlikely a signal generator, ignitor,or timing issue..but to check for the latter, remove the little round cover that conceals the signal generator. Look for obvious loose parts.
              I'd suspect the four way connector that connects ignitor plug to mating harness plug- it might not be conducting thru. The harness plug could be corroded and not letting 2and3 carry current, so no fire.
              most basic multimeters today have 200 ohm scale for lower range..try to find the instruction manual to familiarize yourself.
              Avoid bottom end work on this motor at all costs.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Why would you want to swap out the engine for what sounds more like an electrical problem? It doesn't make any sense
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Why would you want to swap out the engine for what sounds more like an electrical problem? It doesn't make any sense
                  Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  This makes no sense.
                  Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                  Why would you want to swap the bottom end?

Because this engine has never run right in the 3 years I've had this bike and at this point I'm kinda done with it. Add to that when I read in the manual about ignition advance repair and come across "If the advance mechanism must be removed for repair refer to Engine Removal and External Assembly" coupled with comments on here like
                  Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Avoid bottom end work on this motor at all costs.
                  It makes swapping engines seem like an easier route.

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                    heve you checked you have voltage to the coil for 2 &3? Undo the connector to that coil put your meter on 0-20 volt dc put the negative to earth and positive to what should be the live side/feed and see if your getting 12v
                    No, I haven't. I've been trying to find someone who can tell me how to check this but had no luck so THANK YOU for this info. I'll go check this now.

Comment

YOU SEE THAT?! It's a big old spark for cylinder 3!!! Thanks all! Once I checked the voltage I saw the right coil wasn't getting the same power as the left so I checked and cleaned some connection and voila, Spark! I'm so excited to get her back together and do a test ride. Everyone's been tell me I've had fuel system issues with this bike and I've been trying to solve them for years but I think this has been the problem the whole time. Thanks again!

Comment

Pretty much everyone here has a fuel system story that turned out to be ignition related and vice versa. You often feel like an idiot when you finally figure it out, that's where experience comes from!
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                          You often feel like an idiot when you finally figure it out, that's where experience comes from!
                          That's good to hear. Misery definitely loves company.

Comment

Working...
                          X