No announcement yet.

My little attempt at escaping the heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks to the forum members who gave me some good advice on what to see as well as where to eat.
    Good advice from Carl (Wingsconsin) on some good twisties and nice sweeping curves. That SR 171 was very good Carl.

Good advice from Laker on Hwy 17 north to Wawa.

Leonard (LAB3) was spot on concerning the tunnel of trees road as well as the Legs Inn at Cross Village. I must admit Leonard, I did not take your advice to go slow on the tunnel of trees road. I was hitting it pretty good and only saw 3 deer -- none of the 3 caused any adjustment on my part.

Thanks again guys and thank you to all who take the time to read this and view my pics of the trip. I did the best I could with a phone camera plus I am no photographer.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Wow Larry. That looks like quite a ride. Thanks for giving us a sampling of the highlights. I can't wait to hear about in more detail.

How'd the new Tiger hold up?
      Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
      Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Excellent! Sounds like you had a great ride experience! The ferryboat?? I guess you wanted to avoid Chicago, understandably. Thanks Larry for sharing your adventure.🌞 Note to self, ride Michigan and the Great Lakes! 👍
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
          This was my 1st stop on my little trip. It's about 30 miles west of Des Moines, Ia. and it is a big boulder that get repainted every year with a different military theme. The artist has painted a large boulder in each of Iowa's 99 counties. This main one though is the only one that gets changed yearly. Nice tribute to the armed forces of the USA.

Great pics. Glad you had a nice ride. Thanks for sharing.

I wanted a better view of that boulder. The detail is amazing!

Nice bike too, BTW.

Untitled by Larry Alkire, on Flickr
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
            Wow Larry. That looks like quite a ride. Thanks for giving us a sampling of the highlights. I can't wait to hear about in more detail.

How'd the new Tiger hold up?
            Thanks Greg, the Tiger performed flawlessly. I forgot to take along my air hawk seat cushion but as it turned out, it wasn't needed. The bike is comfortable just the way it is.

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
            Excellent! Sounds like you had a great ride experience! The ferryboat?? I guess you wanted to avoid Chicago, understandably. Thanks Larry for sharing your adventure. Note to self, ride Michigan and the Great Lakes! 
            Yes Norm, I wanted to Avoid the Chicago traffic.

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            Great pics. Glad you had a nice ride. Thanks for sharing.

I wanted a better view of that boulder. The detail is amazing!

Nice bike too, BTW.

Thanks Roger, did you notice the one pic that has the website listed? You can see most if not all of his rock paintings.
            Untitled by Larry Alkire, on Flickr
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Oops,forgot to pay tribute last night to Dave (Redman) for his suggestion on dining in Ludington, so here goes.

Dave, that Kuntry Kubbard on the east side of town was very good. I don't normally eat that much especially at night but I couldn't help myself once I saw what was offered.

Thanks again for all your help in getting me started on posting pictures and other good advice you have given.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Well, I'm back from the trip and I must say it was a fantastic trip. I definitely am looking forward to touring more of Michigan in the future. I really liked what I saw of it and it's cooler climate.

I've been busy since getting home and plus the laziness factor has prevented me from posting pics and a write up of the trip. I'll get to it soon. 2,765 miles in 9 days with a lot of downtime to see the sights and just enjoying the solitude that motorcycling offers.

More to come.
                Michigan has a lot to offer which is why I ended up back here after wandering for two months. Think I've got it figured out, spend the summer here, not the winter!
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

How true...….
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Many thanks to the forum members who gave me some good advice on what to see as well as where to eat.
                    Good advice from Carl (Wingsconsin) on some good twisties and nice sweeping curves. That SR 171 was very good Carl.

Good advice from Laker on Hwy 17 north to Wawa.

Leonard (LAB3) was spot on concerning the tunnel of trees road as well as the Legs Inn at Cross Village. I must admit Leonard, I did not take your advice to go slow on the tunnel of trees road. I was hitting it pretty good and only saw 3 deer -- none of the 3 caused any adjustment on my part.

Thanks again guys and thank you to all who take the time to read this and view my pics of the trip. I did the best I could with a phone camera plus I am no photographer.
                    Glad I could point it out - It is a great ride --
                    If anyone is in Wisconsin in FALL -- that is Apple country
                    Currently in the Stable :
                    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Long time no talk! Seems you are doing quite well Lady!! Didn't read the entire post, but was happy to see you have a sister in Mesa!!! Please let me know if you plan to visit her again. You are loved!

Comment

Originally posted by Peppermint Patti View Post
                        Long time no talk! Seems you are doing quite well Lady!! Didn't read the entire post, but was happy to see you have a sister in Mesa!!! Please let me know if you plan to visit her again. You are loved!
                        Lady?????? No lady here PP but thanks for checking in. My sister in Mesa will get the privilege of storing my Honda starting in late Oct. or early Nov.
                        I will let you know when for sure as I would like to meet you in person as well as some of the other Arizona forum members. Maybe we could meet at a coffee shop nearby.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Working...
                        X