Dead Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Starter

This starter came from my parts bike, 1983 GS850. Put it in my 1978 GS1000. Got me on a long test drive, then got me to Chicago for Motoblot. Stranded me at Motoblot. But Chicago and Motoblot have many wonderful bikers attending, and I was taken care of by them. My bike was trucked to a garage, and sat a week till i could retrieve it. Seeing how I do not live in Chicago. Anybody see a starter so destroyed from use before??

IMG_1924.jpg

Nasty stuff.
    Looks like the resin or whatever bonding agent was used to keep the segments in place finally gave up. Possibly over-speeded at some point, too.
    If it came off a parts bike there's no telling what happened to it over its life - possibly sorely abused.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by notronk View Post
      This starter came from my parts bike, 1983 GS850. Put it in my 1978 GS1000. Got me on a long test drive, then got me to Chicago for Motoblot. Stranded me at Motoblot. But Chicago and Motoblot have many wonderful bikers attending, and I was taken care of by them. (...)My bike was trucked to a garage, and sat a week till i could retrieve it.(...)
      uhm....push-starting didn't work?
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I've seen where the actual magnets come unstuck but nothing like that commutator!

Comment

that doesnt look like damage that could start to occur and the starter continue to operate and fail more.

looks like commutator bars flew apart and ripped out the winding ends.whivh i dont thonk could happen at normal satarter motor speed. and once the damage started,the starter motor could not turn itself under its own power any more.

that looks like maybe the starter clutch failed to disengage, and starter being driven by engine (at much higher engine rpm than starter woould turn) and then come apart, but engine still tiurning the starter motor (with probably lots of growling).

your repair shop suggest that?
          need to be doing more than replacing the starter.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hard to tell in the rubble here, but I've seen a starter filled with similar-looking corrosion after some ignorant dipstick spotted the Mystery Hole on his GS and plugged it with epoxy.

The Mystery Hole is a drain for the starter cavity, so if you plug it the starter eventually ends up sitting in a pool of filthy rain water. This cavity is not sealed from the elements; it's designed so that water will make its way in to this area, but then drain out harmlessly.

I dubbed it the Mystery Hole a while back because it became a regular thing for new GS-ers rummaging around under their engines to absolutely PANIC when they spotted the GIANT HOLE in the ENGINE!?!?!?!?!?! And if they had an oil leak from the starter o-ring and/or cam chain tensioner, the oil would eventually make its way out the Mystery Hole, creating DEFCON 1 levels of panic and dismay.

Here's a view of the Mystery Hole on a junk engine. The blue tubing is only there to show these are connected:

Last edited by bwringer; 07-23-2019, 08:01 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Maybe the starter clutch seized to the shaft and spun it to kingdom come.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

OP notronk hasnt posted since. (15 months).

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

yes, but still interesting! I like both theories: over-running starter clutch or the starter corroding in a galvanic bath .

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    yes, but still interesting! I like both theories: over-running starter clutch or the starter corroding in a galvanic bath .

Comment

I vote for moisture, but just my opinion. Hard to think all the granulated rust dust & corrosion from spinning too fast.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                      X