No announcement yet.

My gs450L starter motor does not respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to buy another used starter with the same model number on Ebay. It definitely ran at a higher rpm with 12 volts ... than my old one. It definitely did not try to torque out of my hand when tested. Anyway, I installed it and put the rest of the bike back together .... and charged the old battery up to it's peak showing 12.88 volts. This poor bike hasn't been started in over 1.5 years. It finally started after lots of cranking. The starter/battery combo was slightly weak with so-so crank speed. I've seen way better on other bikes.

Anyway, I just took it on a short ride. It ran fine as long as I kept the rpms up over idle. My idle adjust knob is stuck. Also, on deceleration I started to hear a howling sound come and go ... and started to suspect the starter clutch hanging up intermittently? Have other's had that type problem?? If that is my problem .... how to fix??

Other than those problems, I really enjoyed riding this bike again after sitting so long!! 36 years old and still trying to hang in there generally speaking. 2 years ago, I had rebuilt the carbs (twice to get it right) and had a smooth idle and rpm acceleration and shut down. Don't have that now, but I'm going to ride some more and see if that problem clears up just by running. I would hate to have to take those carbs off AGAIN and blow all those little passageways as before!! But I'll do it ..... later if needed and recommended by others in this group.
    Last edited by dennco2; 03-19-2021, 06:19 PM.
    Dennco2
    1985 GS450
    Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Comment

You will want to check your charging system first and make sure it’s running correctly. Check these settings with a multimeter at the battery and report back here

Key off
      Key on
      While cranking
      While running at idle
      While running at 4000rpm
      Key off
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Many here will probably disagree, but about a half can of Seafoam in the gas sure can't hurt. What you got to lose?
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Many here will probably disagree, but about a half can of Seafoam in the gas sure can't hurt. What you got to lose?
          I hope he gets lucky like this...but if carbs weren’t completely drained two years ago ,or he didn’t use ethanol fuel ...carb fun awaits!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            You will want to check your charging system first and make sure itÂ’s running correctly. Check these settings with a multimeter at the battery and report back here

Key off
            Key on
            While cranking
            While running at idle
            While running at 4000rpm
            Key off
            The GS450 was extremely hard to start and I used up most of the bike battery trying to get it started. Then I jumped my Dodge Van battery to the bike battery and tried several crank attempts, till the engine started. After I knew I could get an engine start ... I disconnected the Van battery. Then I discovered the right cylinder was not firing ... so I pulled the spark plug out and cleaned it and re-installed and then got both cylinders firing!.... and then I was able to hold a decent 1,200 rpm idle with a slight amount of throttle .... then I opened the throttle for 4,000 but the rpms hung there and higher till I turned off the ignition! After restart, idle was resumed but same result going to 4,000. The engine is hard to start ... with choke totally off and throttle barely above idle or it just cranks. When grounding the plugs to the cylinder heads, the spark looked weak and intermittent ... especially for the right side cylinder. Yesterday, I got a short ride out of it and all seemed good ... till I started hearing the howling sound which I am guessing is an intermittent problem with the starter clutch. Today I wouldn't want to even try to ride it.

Anyway, I was able to get some battery and charging numbers ... which don't look too good either. Any advice is welcome.

Key Off .....13.14 volts
            key On ....... 12.12 volts
            while cranking ... 9.96
            running at idle .... 12.40
            running at 4,000 .... 12.95
            key off ...... 12.46
            Dennco2
            1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

You’re not charging. At all.

Read my Charging System sorted thread linked in my signature. It’s a typical story. You’re in good company.

Also, if your carbs were sitting for 2 years with ethanol gas in them, proper cleaning is in order. Proper clean means a full strip and dip. Not just blowing carb cleaner through the passages. CV carb rebuild tutorial can be found on BikeCliffs Website.

you may have an air leak in the intake intake boots causing hanging idle.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-20-2021, 07:23 PM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Rich is right; your charging system is in serious need of testing/troubleshooting. Follow the guide in his signature that another member developed and start going through the required maintenance
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes, I have a lot of work to do to get this running right. Against my better judgement, I took this bike out for a couple mile ride. I had the hanging rpm problem again but somewhat controlled by being in gear and I got that howling noise after revving over 4,000 rpms then decelerating engine revs. I now suspect my cam chain tensioner is the problem, so I printed out a solution from an old poster on this GS forum. Lots to learn and lots to do!
                  Dennco2
                  1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

With great advice offered here in this forum ... I now have solved my starting problem, so will close this Topic thread. Now that it starts again, I NOW realize I have other issues which I will attempt to deal with one at a time ,,, like cam chain adjustment and clean the carbs (AGAIN) as well as figure out why it's not charging the battery .... and attend to any air leaks. Maybe one last question here .... does the cam chain tensioner have to come OFF to reset and readjust tension? I couldn't compress the plunger rod very far inwards when I had it out and now wish I took it apart for inspection, etc.
                    Last edited by dennco2; 03-22-2021, 10:49 PM.
                    Dennco2
                    1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Some comments:

- Barley Barley charging. Yes, you are going to have hard starting, and maybe not get it started to get back home.
                      Yes, do the stator checks, and other charging system checks.

- Howling, you say. Most often cam chain tensioner problems with the chain being loose are described as "slapping" noises.
                      "Growling" or "howling" are often the starter motor clutch not releasing so are driving the starter motor way way faster it ever is suppose to go (and will come apart).
                      Last edited by Redman; 03-23-2021, 05:58 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Maybe one last question here .... does the cam chain tensioner have to come OFF to reset and readjust tension? I couldn't compress the plunger rod very far inwards when I had it out and now wish I took it apart for inspection, etc.
                        RTFM. The cam chain tensioner is self-adjusting. They are reliable and don't often need removal and "inspection", unless, most commonly, the shaft-lock bolt drips a bit of oil...There are many threads here about the cam-chain tensioner....
                        use shop manual and Search to clarify. There IS a way to reset the self-adjustment but it pre-supposes correct installation and operation- Momentarily Turn the big knurled knob a small amount on a running bike. This releases the tension temporarily. Let go and thereafter forget about it.
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-23-2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          You will want to check your charging system first and make sure it’s running correctly. Check these settings with a multimeter at the battery and report back here

Key off
                          Key on
                          While cranking
                          While running at idle
                          While running at 4000rpm
                          Key off
                          I finally got out to my gs450 again to check the charging voltages and was surprised the numbers looked way better than the last time I checked. I did not get all the voltages ... but got 14.65 at 4,000 rpms and 13.25 at slightly above idle ... at 2,000. My bike does not run well at idle until really warmed up.

I cleaned the 3 magnets in the flywheel ... and the 5 male/female connectors pins to the R/R that I had previously missed when cleaning the wire harness. I also crimped the female connectors slightly to improve the fit to the male pins. Anyway, now I am getting 2 more volts going to the R&R than before and now not running down the battery.

Because of the various technical issues with this bike, I did not ride it for almost 2 years and I am still trying to decide if I need to clean the carbs (again) to get 100% performance. Slowly gathering confidence that it won't leave me stranded somewhere and I'm still doing short local rides. I bought a SH775 R&R but now will probably use that on my Suzuki GR650 which definitely has a charging problem! My mechanic skills are extremely marginal but have been learning quite a bit with help from this GSR group!
                          Dennco2
                          1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X