Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a spare SH775,what's a fair price here ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    I wouldn't bother performing a no-load stator test since the results may be inconclusive. Just hook up the SH775 per this diagram, make sure your battery is fully charged, and then check charging system voltage across the battery. If you get low output and hooked up the SH775 like shown then your stator is weak.

SH775 Install by nessism, on Flickr
    Okay Ed,
    That diagram really helps.
    Thank you, Bill

Edit: do you know where I can purchase 2 proper fit plugs(water tight?)that will snap right into both the black and grey ports? I have 5 individual spade terminals soldered to the wire ends, I'll use dielectric grease temporarily.I like those plugs,saw some in another thread.
    Last edited by grcamna2; 07-28-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

The best and simplest connector is the Triumph charging harness.
      This part number can be bought via any Triumph dealer.

All you do is remove the bike ends and make the connections to your own harness. Join the two output brown wires together where they feed into the Suzuki loom.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
        When I do the stator test,that's with the 3 yellow/stator wires disconnected from the system,yes ?
        Yes. Disconnected leads, no load, except for the meter. As Nessism hinted, this test isn't necessarily foolproof, but I have found more than one stator that had a dead leg by using this test. On the other side of the coin, I have also seen several that passed this test, but still would not charge the battery, even though the R/R tested good on another bike.

Yes,
        I see that the SH775 r/r are high priced,compared to just a standard 5 wire r/r.
        Can they be adapted to any cycle which takes the 5-wire type ?
        There is probably a decent chance, but details will be needed on the bike. If it is a simple permanent magnet and 3-phase stator coil system like the GS, yeah, it will work. However, I have seen some systems that had 5 wires, but completely different charging systems. There are also a few bikes out there with true alternators, like in your car. Not sure how many wires they have, but an SH775 will definitely NOT work with one of them.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok,
          Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Yes. Disconnected leads, no load, except for the meter. As Nessism hinted, this test isn't necessarily foolproof, but I have found more than one stator that had a dead leg by using this test. On the other side of the coin, I have also seen several that passed this test, but still would not charge the battery, even though the R/R tested good on another bike.

There is probably a decent chance, but details will be needed on the bike. If it is a simple permanent magnet and 3-phase stator coil system like the GS, yeah, it will work. However, I have seen some systems that had 5 wires, but completely different charging systems. There are also a few bikes out there with true alternators, like in your car. Not sure how many wires they have, but an SH775 will definitely NOT work with one of them.

Steve,
            What bikes have you installed an SH775 onto ?
            I also have a 1982' Honda XL185S on/off enduro which was originally 6vts. I converted the bike over to 12 vts by installing a cheap 12vt. 5-wire(3 yellow 1 red,1 black)reg/rect into it.That bike has the permanent magnet rotor and 3 phase stator coil(ac alternator)and being able to use 12 volt lights really helps.I had one burned stator so far..

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              The best and simplest connector is the Triumph charging harness.
              This part number can be bought via any Triumph dealer.

All you do is remove the bike ends and make the connections to your own harness. Join the two output brown wires together where they feed into the Suzuki loom.
              Dave,
              Would you say these plugs create a waterproof seal so rain won't enter these connections and corrode the terminals ?

Comment

I have a Triumph connector on my bike. It seals well.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I wouldn't bother performing a no-load stator test since the results may be inconclusive. Just hook up the SH775 per this diagram, make sure your battery is fully charged, and then check charging system voltage across the battery. If you get low output and hooked up the SH775 like shown then your stator is weak.

SH775 Install by nessism, on Flickr
                  Well,
                  I hooked up the SH775 and got the same readings.. I'm glad I have a spare stator, I'll be installing it soon.
                  I will need to find another spare stator for when I take long rides.

Comment

Once you get a good stator in there with the SH775, you likely will never need a spare (of either).

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Well,
                      I hooked up the SH775 and got the same readings.
                      Did you hook it up like shown in the diagram, bypassing the factory wiring and grounding direct to the battery? Is the battery fully charged? If not, the problem may be the wiring and/or the battery. There is also the chance the SH775 is defective, but that chance is pretty low.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Once you get a good stator in there with the SH775, you likely will never need a spare (of either).

That would be a more secure set-up.
                        I used to own a Honda VFR750F Interceptor and they have a poor r/r lifetime.I always carried a spare.
                        Then I found out about the Electrex company in the UK and installed one where it could get a little air, I never had a problem again.They might have had a good electronic r/r similar to this SH775 even back in the mid 90's.

Comment

Did you hook it up like shown in the diagram, bypassing the factory wiring and grounding direct to the battery? Is the battery fully charged? If not, the problem may be the wiring and/or the battery. There is also the chance the SH775 is defective, but that chance is pretty low.
                          Yes, all hooked up as you said.I think my battery is ok but may get it load tested somewhere.
                          I will replace the stator with my spare Electrex aftermarket unit. My output on the meter is exactly the same as the other SH678c r/r I had in it before.I do plan on replacing the complete wiring harness with the nice one I found online from an 87' GS450L.
                          The stock harness on my 82' GS450TXZ has had a couple wires on it that looked like they did get warm in the past.
                          Last edited by grcamna2; 07-30-2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Okay Ed,
                            The battery was digitally load tested at Napa,Good.
                            The symptoms: the battery discharges below 1500rpm,badly(drops down from 12.9vts all the way down to 12.32vts at 1100rpm)so I get 13 and above beginning at around 18-1900 rpm and tops off at 13.6vts after 2500rpm and won't rise any higher if the rpms are increased.
                            I checked with a 12vt test light between the disconnected neg terminal and ground wire:no light-no short.
                            Could this be the stator ?
                            Last edited by grcamna2; 07-30-2019, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Okay Ed,
                              The battery was digitally load tested at Napa,Good.
                              The symptoms: the battery discharges below 1500rpm,badly(drops down from 12.9vts all the way down to 12.32vts at 1100rpm)so I get 13 and above beginning at around 18-1900 rpm and tops off at 13.6vts after 2500rpm and won't rise any higher if the rpms are increased.
                              I checked with a 12vt test light between the disconnected neg terminal and ground wire:no light-no short.
                              Could this be the stator ?
                              I replaced the stator,same thing.. The next thing I plan on doing is removing my main wiring harness then checking each component individually to see if there could be a problem. I will then install the nice used main harness I purchased online from a 1987' GS450L.

Comment

The stator and r/r don't use much of harness....replacing the harness to chase down a charging issue is a long shot .
                                Have you checked the no load AC test on the 3 stator wires? The stator can get grounded out on the clamp that holds it to cover- this drops your output ...and the SH-775 can't correct this. Also a poor stator winding job can cause one of the stator leads to contact its metal frame dropping the output as it pushes current to r/r.
                                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X