Good Friend Joe Whelen Is Riding in Heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Friend Joe Whelen Is Riding in Heaven

A friend called tonight informing me that Joe died a couple of days ago in a bicycling accident. Very sad indeed. He was a "giver" to many on the forum here and an honorable man. Words escape me at the moment but what I always remember about him was how much he loved his daughter. Below if one of the photos he posted of her and who could help but love something so adorable? I'm sad that she will grow up without a daddy now.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Are you kidding me?!
    Damn, many dealings with him. Good Man
    RIP
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Oh my...so sad. We have sold each other parts and I always loved dealing with him. Great guy. So sorry for his family.
      No signature

Comment

Thanks Ed so much for making the post and for your so kind and comforting conversation. Im typing with blurry eyes as I still cannot reconcile my shock and grief. Ive known Joe in many a parts lot deals, knew his dad somewhat ( Joe would sometime bring dad along when i found a stash ). What i know of him takes so many adjectives to capture his essence....and Im pretty sure I dont know every word to accurately do him full justice.

In my personal experiences with him I found him to be these:
        Honest
        Caring
        Patient
        Calm
        Unconditionally unselfish
        Humble

I will try to post any services information and have asked his business partner to keep me in the loop. He will be REMEMBERED by many many folks for an extremely long time. I would like to close with a Chinese Proverb..
        " NO PERSON is truely dead until the last person that has EVER known them is also dead" In this regard its safe to say that Joseph Patrick Whelan is gonna be here for a very very long time!

God bless all members here and may we all pause to know we must realize how wonderfully blessed we are each time we are privledged enough to draw another breath. God bless Joe, his family, and those feeling this sting tonight.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-24-2019, 10:13 PM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about this; it's the second issue in almost as many days as a co-worker died in a hit and run this weekend
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

In case it's not obvious, Chuck is the friend that informed me. I wasn't sure he wanted to be known as the one that broke the news thus my omission of his name in my original post. Anyway, Joe will be missed. He project bikes were always above reproach, the only way he seemed able to do one.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
              Oh my...so sad. We have sold each other parts and I always loved dealing with him. Great guy. So sorry for his family.
              Ditto. I don't remember if it was side covers or whatever, I have dealt with him. One of the pillars of this community.

But that daughter...

Is it better to have loved and lost or never to have loved...?

So sad. My condolences to his family.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

This is very sad news to read, my condolences to those that knew Joe. I only knew him from his posts and never had any dealing with him, but he seemed like a stand up guy. Prayers for him and his family, it's really sad to see a young child lose a father. Does anyone know what happened? When I was a kid in Jr. High my my bike slipped on a set of rails and I went down hitting my head and saw stars. The many other times after learning how to cross properly, I never made that mistake again, but there never was a time I didn't know of the presence of a train near by. They vibrate the ground and aren't the quietest of things. Was he wearing ear buds or something?
                GSRick
                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

See the link in my post.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sad news indeed..
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

He was just up here in Norman about 3 weeks ago and we loaded up his truck with a bunch of mid 70s CB750 tanks and a huge box of NOS Kawasaki H1 gaskets, bearings, engine cylinder stud kits, a pile of carbs and a 4 into 1 Supertrap pipe for a 82 / 83 650 nighthawk I had squandered away. We were gonna collaborate on a project of which i was very excited...which may still happen with his business partner. BUT, as I told him on the phone tonight the focus is about the shop, the employees, and the many tasks that lay ahead.

Comment

So sorry for the loss of what apparently was a great person. I only knew of him through this forum but I feel like we are all family.

Chuck, I am especially sorry for your loss.
                        RIP Joe.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

This is awful.
                          As others have said, bought and sold a couple parts from him and the dealings were always smooth and easy.
                          He would offer help and info to go along with the part. Even had some small exchanges through a Honda site.
                          Agreed, humble is an excellent word to describe him.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Wow, this is sad news. I did not personally know Joe, but I'm sure he was a stand up guy. Perhaps someone that knew him personally could start a collection to give to his family from GSR...
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

How sad... and tragic. Ear buds found near the scene; that is really unfortunate.

Sorry for your loss.

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                              X