No announcement yet.

Good Friend Joe Whelen Is Riding in Heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unbearably sad. Had a few dealings with Joe, and as stated, all of them were solid and super easy. His passion and contributions for what we do will surely be missed. RIP buddy.
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Oh no. That's terrible news. While I never had the pleasure of meeting Joe in person, I appreciated his contributions here, and he will be missed.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Very sad always enjoyed watching a thread of his builds.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Sad news about Joe. Condolences to his family. I never met Joe, but had some dealings with him, parts, etc. He was always helpful and knowledgeable and very friendly. May he rest in peace.
          1978 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
          1981 GS1100E
          1982 GS1100E
          1982 GS1000SZ
          1983 GS1100ED
          1983 GS1100ESD
          1978 Honda CB750K
          1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

I didn't know Joe, which is a shame. I had heard about this on the news but didn't realize he was a member here and that he lived just a few miles away. I'm sorry that I didn't have the chance to meet him.
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

NOTICE..NOTICE.

I have been in contact with Joes family and His obit is posted on the VJ MOTO Facebook page. The family asks that any donation be made and proceeds will be used for his daughters college trust fund.

For those not on Fbook heres a link.

Joseph Patrick Whelan, age 53 of Corinth, Texas, passed away on Monday, July 22, 2019 doing something he loved, riding his bike on the Katy Trail in Denton. He was born on November 12, 1965 in Dubuque, Iowa a place that was still very special to him. He is survived
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sorry to hear of Joe's death.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

wow....very sad for his family. His work was impeccable. A loss to the community for sure...
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

He was a great guy. Tragic loss.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

very sad to read this...Joe bought my now deceased brothers CB1100F and was very easy to deal with.
                      RIP

Comment

Such terrible and unexpected news, such a freak accident. I bought parts from him and enjoyed reading his posts, a straight up guy who everyone would like to have as their friend.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I also considered Joe a friend, had many dealings with him, bought/sold bikes between each other. Been to his house, he'd been to mine in Texas. Heck, 2 weeks ago he sent me a message about a ZL900 and was going to give me a good deal on it, but I already had too many and turned it onto somebody else, they were VERY happy with the bike. Dealing with Joe was also fair and easy, he was such a good egg. I was on my way to Florida on vacation, just getting ready to stop at the Barber Museum in Birmingham, when I got a Facebook message from another Texas friend, notifying me of his passing. I was also in shock. I can tell you this. There were MANY bikes in that museum that I know Joe had experience with, he had such great taste in vintage bikes, I especially thought of him as I was looking at the big Honda Interceptors, I knew had just recently sold one and I sent him Craigslist ads frequently on those particular bikes. I knew what he was into and vice versa, he sent me links to muscle bikes all the time. One time I found a vintage 82 Champagne color Suzuki GS1100E matching helmet on Craigslist and went and picked it up for Joe, knew he wanted it and he was very happy to have it, but he would have done the same thing for me. I know he was quite the family man too, he also posted MANY times on Facebook about his daughter, he called her "peeps", and the times he spent with her, art was one of her gifts if I remember correctly, Joe would post proudly some of her finest creations. I still can't believe he's gone. Even after I moved from away from Texas, we've kept in contact and I know everyone here is saddened by his passing. It put a very melancholy mood on my vacation with my wife, but I also realized that every day is a gift, and you really have to live every day like it's your last, because it very well could be. This one just hit way too close to home, gonna miss you Joe. Rest in Peace my friend, you will not be forgotten.
                          Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                          87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                          99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                          15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

RIP Joe. THinking of your family...
                            sigpic
                            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                            1983 GS1100e
                            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                            1980 GS1260
                            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

oh crap. sorry to hear of this!
                              1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Just read the news on Joe. What a sad loss to his family and to motorcycling. I painted a couple of bikes for Joe. His Honda Nighthawk S, and his Honda VFR1000R. The VFR one of the toughest paint jobs I ever did. Joe was patient, kind, appreciative, and never tried to talk me down on prices. He was a true gentleman, and an absolute pleasure to do business with. His building skills just blew my mind. His bikes were so tastefully done and so cool to look at. He always had a less is more quality to all his projects. They were jaw-dropping beautiful machines. I, too, always wanted to collaborate with him on a project but with the thousands of miles between he and myself, it never happened. It's a loss to all. R.I.P. Joe.

Here's just a few pics of the bikes I did for him. Seems like a long time ago now...

Last edited by nvr2old; 01-04-2020, 06:57 PM.
                                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Working...
                                X