Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby's First Suzuki

Hey, friends.

After 20 years of Yamahas, Hondas, and Bridgestones I finally picked up my first Suzuki tonight. It's an '82 GS1100GL that I picked up off Detroit Metro Craigslist for a princely $300 for a fix/flip project. It runs (just) but needs some major carb work along the basic tune-up work (filters, fluids, plugs, etc.). I haven't given it a real thorough inspection yet, but on the surface it looks like it's in fantastic condition. Like I said earlier, this is my first Suzuki so any and all recommendations/advice is more than welcome.

196X BSA Frankenbike Project Firebolt
    1980 Yamaha XS850SG
    1979 Yamaha XS650
    1976 Honda GL1000
    1971 Honda CB500K1
    1983 Suzuki GS550ES

Looks like a great start for a project, and you basically stole it for that price.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome to the site, BSAKat.
      A basically stock project that runs for $300 is a bargoon.
      It looks to have had serious heat issues to have blued the pipes all the way back in the muffler area. [carb mixture, tight valves]
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Looks like a great start for a project, and you basically stole it for that price.

Yeah, the guy selling it had a new baby, was living with in-laws while building a house, was given this bike by his brother-in-law, and didn't know anything about bikes. He just wanted it gone and I was happy to oblige him. It's a little big for my usual tastes (I specialize in stuff 650 and smaller) but I really couldn't turn this thing down. I'm going to get it running, clean it up, and sell it off to feed my other projects.
        1980 Yamaha XS850SG
        1979 Yamaha XS650
        1976 Honda GL1000
        1971 Honda CB500K1
        1983 Suzuki GS550ES

Comment

Originally posted by BSAKat View Post
          Yeah, the guy selling it had a new baby, was living with in-laws while building a house, was given this bike by his brother-in-law, and didn't know anything about bikes. He just wanted it gone and I was happy to oblige him. It's a little big for my usual tastes (I specialize in stuff 650 and smaller) but I really couldn't turn this thing down. I'm going to get it running, clean it up, and sell it off to feed my other projects.
          Welcome to the forum. Great price for sure but keep in mind that old UJM's are a dime a dozen in the Detroit area, flipping for a profit is a tough game.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
            Welcome to the forum. Great price for sure but keep in mind that old UJM's are a dime a dozen in the Detroit area, flipping for a profit is a tough game.
            Oh, I'm well aware. I've been doing this a while.
            1980 Yamaha XS850SG
            1979 Yamaha XS650
            1976 Honda GL1000
            1971 Honda CB500K1
            1983 Suzuki GS550ES

Comment

maybe you took off the sidepanels for transport....?

what you have there is all stock condition (which is its value).

You will want to learn about the hub in the rear wheel (I repeat: IN the rear wheel, not the final drive unit)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome. Looks like a nice bike for the money.
                Keep in mind that L bikes are not as valuable as the E bikes. Hopefully with your cheap buy in there's still room for profit..... or maybe you'll ride it and get hooked on GS bikes....
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The sidecovers are in a box with some other stuff. In other news, you guys wanna see something real gross?

Found the problem with the carbs! Carbs and airbox went right into the trash. I'm going to pull the head and inspect everything inside. If it's good, I'll replace everything with eBay and swap meet parts. If not, well, I'll part it out and at least make my money back. Hopefully it's salvageable, since it's really nice otherwise.
                  1980 Yamaha XS850SG
                  1979 Yamaha XS650
                  1976 Honda GL1000
                  1971 Honda CB500K1
                  1983 Suzuki GS550ES

Comment

Wow that is some epic crud!
                    Personally I would still hold on to them though in case there’s a need for brackets, the carb caps, etc
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hah, right? It's the worst I've ever seen. It's amazing. Good call on the brackets. I already have a lead on a set of carbs with intakes and new pod filters, so if the inside of the head looks okay I'll be grabbing them.
                      1980 Yamaha XS850SG
                      1979 Yamaha XS650
                      1976 Honda GL1000
                      1971 Honda CB500K1
                      1983 Suzuki GS550ES

Comment

I think you're going to LOVE it!!! Please be careful, as I remember, they are a bit easier to wheelie when you take off too fast...
                        Yeah... That's pretty cruddy!!!
                        Last edited by Peppermint Patti; 07-27-2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Did you say it ran with those carbs???
                          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                          1977 GS550
                          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
                          X