Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby's First Suzuki

Default Baby's First Suzuki

Hey, friends.

After 20 years of Yamahas, Hondas, and Bridgestones I finally picked up my first Suzuki tonight. It's an '82 GS1100GL that I picked up off Detroit Metro Craigslist for a princely $300 for a fix/flip project. It runs (just) but needs some major carb work along the basic tune-up work (filters, fluids, plugs, etc.). I haven't given it a real thorough inspection yet, but on the surface it looks like it's in fantastic condition. Like I said earlier, this is my first Suzuki so any and all recommendations/advice is more than welcome.

Looks like a great start for a project, and you basically stole it for that price.

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Welcome to the site, BSAKat.
    A basically stock project that runs for $300 is a bargoon.
    It looks to have had serious heat issues to have blued the pipes all the way back in the muffler area. [carb mixture, tight valves]
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Looks like a great start for a project, and you basically stole it for that price.

Yeah, the guy selling it had a new baby, was living with in-laws while building a house, was given this bike by his brother-in-law, and didn't know anything about bikes. He just wanted it gone and I was happy to oblige him. It's a little big for my usual tastes (I specialize in stuff 650 and smaller) but I really couldn't turn this thing down. I'm going to get it running, clean it up, and sell it off to feed my other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by BSAKat View Post
    Yeah, the guy selling it had a new baby, was living with in-laws while building a house, was given this bike by his brother-in-law, and didn't know anything about bikes. He just wanted it gone and I was happy to oblige him. It's a little big for my usual tastes (I specialize in stuff 650 and smaller) but I really couldn't turn this thing down. I'm going to get it running, clean it up, and sell it off to feed my other projects.
    Welcome to the forum. Great price for sure but keep in mind that old UJM's are a dime a dozen in the Detroit area, flipping for a profit is a tough game.

Quote Originally Posted by LAB3 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Great price for sure but keep in mind that old UJM's are a dime a dozen in the Detroit area, flipping for a profit is a tough game.
    Oh, I'm well aware. I've been doing this a while.
    196X BSA Frankenbike Project Firebolt
    1980 Yamaha XS850SG
    1979 Yamaha XS650
    1976 Honda GL1000
    1971 Honda CB500K1
    1983 Suzuki GS550ES

Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

maybe you took off the sidepanels for transport....?

what you have there is all stock condition (which is its value).

You will want to learn about the hub in the rear wheel (I repeat: IN the rear wheel, not the final drive unit)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.

Welcome. Looks like a nice bike for the money.
    Keep in mind that L bikes are not as valuable as the E bikes. Hopefully with your cheap buy in there's still room for profit..... or maybe you'll ride it and get hooked on GS bikes....

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

The sidecovers are in a box with some other stuff. In other news, you guys wanna see something real gross?

Found the problem with the carbs! Carbs and airbox went right into the trash. I'm going to pull the head and inspect everything inside. If it's good, I'll replace everything with eBay and swap meet parts. If not, well, I'll part it out and at least make my money back. Hopefully it's salvageable, since it's really nice otherwise.
    196X BSA Frankenbike Project Firebolt
    1980 Yamaha XS850SG
    1979 Yamaha XS650
    1976 Honda GL1000
    1971 Honda CB500K1
    1983 Suzuki GS550ES

Wow that is some epic crud!
    Personally I would still hold on to them though in case there’s a need for brackets, the carb caps, etc

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/