• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pikes Peak Hill Climb Drops Motorcycle Racing

Motorcycles
    Published 9 hours ago
    Pikes Peak Hill Climb race drops motorcycles for 2020 after fatal crash
    By Gary Gastelu | Fox News

The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is canceling all motorcycle categories for 2020 in the wake of a fatal crash this year.

Rider Carlin Dunne lost control of his Ducati and left the road just short of the finish of the 12.4-mile time trial.
    Defending champion Dunne set the fastest time in qualifying and also won in 2011, 2012 (seen here) and 2013.

Defending champion Dunne set the fastest time in qualifying and also won in 2011, 2012 (seen here) and 2013. (Getty Images/Rainier Ehrhardt)

An investigation determined that the accident wasn’t caused by a mechanical failure, and it is believed that the 36-year-old, four-time winner of the race lost control when he hit a bump.

Despite the dangerous setting of the race, which winds up the Colorado mountain along a road lined with long drop-offs, there have only been seven fatal accidents in its 97-year history. Four incident involved motorcycle riders, three of which have taken place since 2014.

The historic race took place on a dirt surface in its early years, but speeds increased and riding styles changed as it was completely paved between 2002 and 2012.

The organizers released a statement announcing the move and said they are conducting an analysis to determine if motorcycles will return in later years.

“It’s just time to take a hard look at every aspect of the race, including the motorcycle program, and determine whether or not the event may change,” Tom Osborne, chairman of the board of directors, wrote.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"
Working...
X