Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the GS discussion forum .... include the Suzuki GR650 twin bike ... or where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the GS discussion forum .... include the Suzuki GR650 twin bike ... or where?

I got my eye on a 36 year old 650 Tempter for sale. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the bike ... but if I get it I will want to get a back rest and large luggage rack for it. I don't see any accessories for that bike due to limited 1 year production ... and I am wondering if I can adapt a back rest and rack from another Suzuki model?? Direct fit ... or decent looking retro fit?

Thanks for any help to solve this dilemma!
    Dennco2
    1985 GS450
    Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Probably does not directly include the GR series, but many of us DO have other bikes, so somebody might know.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Most GS knowledge transfers directly to the GR -- electrics, brakes, etc. are pretty much the same, and the carburetors and much of the engine architecture have a lot of similarities.

As far as your specific question about accessories, I dunno.

I'd suggest taking some measurements and photos, then posting in the correct subforum. Most such accessory or bodywork related questions seem to end up in the "Appearance" area:

If you meet people halfway with measurements of your own, you might find some folks willing to go out to the garage and see if their bike is similar.
      Last edited by bwringer; 07-31-2019, 09:02 AM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I'm told there are some differences, including the word strange. Mostly drivetrain stuff as in the clutch/flywheel areas, I believe. I don't know of any specific problems, but don't think they sold many. I kinda liked them. They were Suzuki's answer to the venerable XS 650 Yamaha. Smoother engine, power about the same. I would only really worry enough to investigate parts availability.
        Last edited by wymple; 07-31-2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Big Rich was into the GRs, but I’m not sure if he’s active here anymore.

edit- his name isn’t in the index, unless I confused the name.
          Last edited by dorkburger; 07-31-2019, 06:54 PM.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Big Rich was on here not too long ago...

I've had a look at the back of a GR, and I recall the grab bar being similar to the setup of my 83' 550es. They are both monoshock setups, so the accessories could very well be interchangeable. I don't think any of the standard kit for the twin-shock bikes will be direct-fit.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

a rack made for a 36 year old limited production motorcycle? You're joking, surely.

That said, there apparently was one:
              good luck finding it but ebay + patience might be your friend...Commonly,nowadays, I find it's a matter of adaptation...some generic rack from the '80s bolted on to adapter straps.(see picture below) But without the convenient studs that twin-shock bikes have, it's going to need a bit extra..possibly drilling into your GR's frame...

I think when adapting something more common-say, made for an old Honda 450-will be to check the width where its supports land ....

add: But you might do as well or better to make one rather than be disappointed by some ebay scrap with peeling chrome that doesn't quite fit...If you can find some strap-steel similar to the adapter in the picture, you can bend+bolt it together where you don't have the skills or tools to weld it...or, cut the parts and any welder will put it together for you....
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-01-2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I have done further research on this and found some other pictures of GR650 owners with back rest and luggage rack. My occasional co-rider REALLY likes a back rest ... so if I get this bike I have to come up with something and looks good. Here is what I have found.774254199.jpg
                Dennco2
                1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

4296418_7f9ed2d1ba639ff9.jpgThis one needs a padded back
                  Dennco2
                  1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

I also found a youtube video of Tempter with rack/rest. I hope the link below works.

1983 Suzuki GR650 Tempter running on February 7, 2011

I can't contact any of these old owners ... so can't seem to find the info I need.
                    Dennco2
                    1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

The rack shown in the video is clearly made by KG, but looks to be a bit cobbled together onto some home-built mount.

There were aftermarket racks that fit:

which seems to be similar to, if not the same as the one Gorminrider posted.
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I found an Amco brand back rest/luggage rack apparently designed for a xs650 Yamaha and it fit nicely on the front mount to the bike frame. But for the rear mounting, I had to fabricate 2 steel plates and drill 4 holes to bolt up to the rear of the grab rail and also cradle the rack on both sides. No need to modify the rack by welding or drilling. It is very sturdy.

amco9.jpg
                        Dennco2
                        1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dennco2 View Post
                          I have done further research on this and found some other pictures of GR650 owners with back rest and luggage rack. My occasional co-rider REALLY likes a back rest ... so if I get this bike I have to come up with something and looks good. Here is what I have found.[ATTACH=CONFIG]58620[/ATTACH]

Dennco2,I like your Vetter Quicksilver front fairing

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                            Dennco2,I like your Vetter Quicksilver front fairing
                            I wish I had such a full windscreen to use .... but the picture is of someone else's bike on the internet. Then again, I don't ride fast with the gs450 usually.
                            Dennco2
                            1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

I have been riding my 1983 Suzuki Tempter GR650 for about 2 years now ... on and off. Last summer I took a lot of parts off to inspect and clean. I pulled a lot of electrical connectors off to clean .... and installed a used Shindengen R/R. Charging rates really improved after that upgrade. I put in new plugs ... at 1st standard heat range and later the hotter plugs.

As the weather temps get colder, it is getting harder to start the 2 cylinder engine. I pull full choke and only get a feeble idle at first. Can't open the throttle as it kills the engine. About a minute of running full choke the rpms come up slightly and I can rev up engine slightly without killing it. I then ride it carefully around the block holding full choke with my left hand ... as the choke lever will NOT stay where I put it. Finally, the engine warms up to make a few HP and I can start my ride, but can't yet get to good rpm ranges. Today I must have rode 3 miles before the engine developed full power and acceleration .... at choke OFF position. I am afraid as the temps get colder, I won't even be able to get a start (at full choke). Last summer .... all was fine for starts but was still COLD blooded!

Any suggestions on carb settings, etc .... to get this engine not to run so lean?
                              Dennco2
                              1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X