Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs750 Potential Shim issue?

Hello everyone!

I am currently working on 1978 GS750 and it is sooo close to running properly. I just recently had the carbs completely rebuilt and tuned for pods, and the bike runs perfectly.. for a short while.. After about 20-25 minutes of riding, the bike starts to have issues, puttering, possible backfiring? and then it will slowly die on me.
    Im hoping someone here might be familiar with the issue? Or could point me in the right direction? I have been told to check out the shims, or potentially the petcock. I checked all the clearances on my shims a few months back and they all seemed to be within the recommended clearance.. but maybe I did not look closely enough?

Thank you all!

Sounds like fuel starvation/petcock/fuel filter or battery depletion. Not likely anything to do with the shims. Check your charging here
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

What method did you use for the shim measurement?
      This is not a shim issue
      Either fuel issue or,
      Are you still running points ignition ?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Did you sync the carbs after you had them rebuilt?
        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
          How is that likely to cause issues after riding for 20 minutes?
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
            Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            How is that likely to cause issues after riding for 20 minutes?
            Well, it's either an attempt to gather some (apparently non-relevant) information, or just another scatter-gun approach that is often taken here. Seems that just about any problem can be fixed by carb rebuild, carb sync, valve adjustment or a coil relay mod.

I agree, it's not a shim issue, nor a carb sync issue. Dying slowly sort of rules out electrical issue, so I am leaning toward a fuel issue, as well.

He is in Salt Lake City. It tends to be warm there. The phrase "tuned for pods" worries me just a bit. If it's still just a little too lean, and running in that heat, it might be seizing slightly. Have you done plug checks (in spite of the "tune")?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Well, it's either an attempt to gather some (apparently non-relevant) information, or just another scatter-gun approach that is often taken here. Seems that just about any problem can be fixed by carb rebuild, carb sync, valve adjustment or a coil relay mod.

I agree, it's not a shim issue, nor a carb sync issue. Dying slowly sort of rules out electrical issue, so I am leaning toward a fuel issue, as well.

He is in Salt Lake City. It tends to be warm there. The phrase "tuned for pods" worries me just a bit. If it's still just a little too lean, and running in that heat, it might be seizing slightly. Have you done plug checks (in spite of the "tune")?

Never ceases to amaze me to this day the amount of people who think that synching the carbs can solve so many problems on their bikes, i have seen this diagnosis on issues ranging from bad misfiring to high speed vibration
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Agreed. The most obvious sign of the need for a sync job is at, and just above, idle speed. By the time you get above 1/4 throttle, the effects any mis-synchronized carbs will be negligible.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure that the crankcase is not overfilled with gasoline. That causes running issues after the motor warms up and starts vaporizing the gas. Dar

Comment

Working...
                  X