Trip Planning - Bangor, Maine area to Cumberland Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip Planning - Bangor, Maine area to Cumberland Ohio

Wanting to ride from Maine to Cumberland. Its about 1000 miles, depending on the route. I'm looking to avoid interstates cities, and the great lakes.

Anybody have any interesting ideas?
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Sounds like an interesting ride. Sorry I can't be of any help since I have not had the privilege to visit the NE --- yet. It will happen some day though.

I would guess by the end of the day, you will be inundated with some good suggestions. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Where are you starting? Rt1 along the coast is awsome. You can visit the real( original Fort Knox . It is in Prospect Me. It over looks the Penobscot river, out to the bay. Pretty cool. Also you are not far from Acadia National park. As far as routes I would suggest 1 south from Bangor, pick up route 302 in southern Maine, across NH to Vt, pick up 100 south to 30 south. Not really sure from there . Some one else could chime in with ideas
      Last edited by hjfisk; 08-05-2019, 05:09 PM.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Combat, I'm not sure of the ultimate route to get to Cumberland Ohio, but once your in Cumberland you will be submerged in the finest motorcycle roads Ohio has to offer. What is the date you will be traveling? Just curious, there is the Sternwheel festival going on in Marietta the 6th-8th of September... There is the "Big Muskie" on route 78 in Ohio. One of the biggest Drag line shovels in the world! I'm in the Youngstown, Ohio aria, if you need anything. Have fun! 👍
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I was born in Lewiston, ME. We lived in Auburn. I own property here, and have relatives here. I'm not unfamiliar with Maine. Lived and worked at the Canadian Border went of Calais and in Portland. At Bangor High School, where I went to 10th grade, Sandy Beach at Bar Harbor was the big high school hangout in summer. You could drive right in then. Can't say how many times I've been there, or Cadillac Mountain either one. I've surfed at Sandy Beach and in South Portland.

Mostly I want to miss Schenictady Troy, Utica, Wheeling, Pittsburgh, and controlled access or divided highways. I have what I think is a pretty good route on my Delorme Streets, which I still like better than Google Maps. I'm about 4 miles from US 2. I've taken it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb
            The AMA museum is in Pickerington. Its about an hour west of Cumberland.
            http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/hof/
            That's something to see... Art and I have been threatening to ride from Cumberland to Mid Ohio for decades. He's retired. I'm going to be, but work is slow now, and I can get leave. My wife has planned a big wedding reception Labor Day Weekend. I'll probably not get to sneak away again until October. Just have to watch for the leaf peepers then.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              Combat, I'm not sure of the ultimate route to get to Cumberland Ohio, but once your in Cumberland you will be submerged in the finest motorcycle roads Ohio has to offer. What is the date you will be traveling? Just curious, there is the Sternwheel festival going on in Marietta the 6th-8th of September... There is the "Big Muskie" on route 78 in Ohio. One of the biggest Drag line shovels in the world! I'm in the Youngstown, Ohio aria, if you need anything. Have fun! 
              Where would you recommend entering Ohio, so I could head south to Cumberland?

Comment

I think I would head south, southwest through Pennsylvania. Then head west into Ohio. Pennsylvania is probably more scenic than northern Ohio. You could jump the Ohio river at Steubenville (rt22) or better yet jump the river further south in Moundsville West Virginia. Then take rt148 west to rt 26 south to Woodsfield, then take rt78 west. That should get you pretty close to Cumberland... 👍
                My Motorcycles:
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  I think I would head south, southwest through Pennsylvania. Then head west into Ohio. Pennsylvania is probably more scenic than northern Ohio. You could jump the Ohio river at Steubenville (rt22) or better yet jump the river further south in Moundsville West Virginia. Then take rt148 west to rt 26 south to Woodsfield, then take rt78 west. That should get you pretty close to Cumberland... 👍
                  Thanks. That looks really good.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    Thanks for the suggestions. I was born in Lewiston, ME. We lived in Auburn. I own property here, and have relatives here. I'm not unfamiliar with Maine. Lived and worked at the Canadian Border went of Calais and in Portland. At Bangor High School, where I went to 10th grade, Sandy Beach at Bar Harbor was the big high school hangout in summer. You could drive right in then. Can't say how many times I've been there, or Cadillac Mountain either one. I've surfed at Sandy Beach and in South Portland.

Mostly I want to miss Schenictady Troy, Utica, Wheeling, Pittsburgh, and controlled access or divided highways. I have what I think is a pretty good route on my Delorme Streets, which I still like better than Google Maps. I'm about 4 miles from US 2. I've taken it a lot.
                    I lived in Pembroke, just south of Calais, and use to work in Woodland for the state . I now live in Ma. But still like going back to Me. At least once a year.
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Hey Combat, how was your trip to Ohio?
                      My Motorcycles:
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)

Comment

I haven't done it yet. Maybe next month. Home problems.

Comment

Working...
                        X