Return to the forum, finally ready to get to work on my GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return to the forum, finally ready to get to work on my GS1000G

I registered for this forum when I got my 1980 GS1000G 1-2 years ago. One other motorcycle project, a house purchase, and a wedding later, I'm finally actually getting to work on it. My login was deactivated so I've made a new one.

Right now I'm in the process of tearing it down. I already have new rubber bits, and I obtained a new-to-me head on eBay since there were so many sheared bolts in the first one. Can't fully put the blame on the PO for that, I sheared 2 of them. It's originally black. One side cover is missing, and the seat is trash. I'm planning to go with a stripped down stock look on it. I don't really have any intention of veering into pods land when I have the original airbox, but I would like to do some modifications to highlight that big sexy air cooled engine. I've previously restored (definitely not to showroom quality, but back to a place where they are reliable fun transportation) a 1979 Honda CX500C, a 1981 XJ650 Maxim (daily rider), and a 1993 Vulcan 750, so I've at least got in mind what I should be ready for.

I appreciate the wisdom and experience you find on forums, and I've been a long time lurker and already learned tons. Looking forward to solving issues and getting this beast mobile again.

Welcome back.

By "rubber bits", does that include the intake boots and o-rings? carb o-ring kit?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
    X