1980 GS550 very hard to shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550 very hard to shift

Hey so I bought a 1980 GS550L a few month ago, it has ~20k miles on it. Recently I changed front brake and clutch levers, because the old ones were battered. Also I have removed the clutch cover and front sprocket covers to check the condition on both (had to take off the shifting lever and foot peg to do so). After these changes I am experiencing some problems with shifting. When the engine is off, I can shift easily and experience no problems. However, when the engine is running its almost impossible to shift by foot (I have tried it with my hand and its possible, but very hard as well). I suppose this problem is not caused by the clutch itself, because when I do shift into 1st or 2nd gear while the clutch lever is engaged, the bike is not trying to move. The engine oil was changed quite recently and level is good (does the clutch and engine share the same oil though?).

After doing some research I figured that it might be false clutch cable adjustment or gear shifter is in wrong position by few teeth (still didn't check on these). Any other ideas or suggestions?
    Please note that this is my first bike, so any comments or suggestions are welcome. Also, any advice on how to adjust the clutch cable or gear shifter correctly?

Yes, the oil is used for both the engine and transmission. What oil did you use - a motorcycle specific, diesel (preferred here by some due to cost and the zinc content) or hopefully not car oil? Did you follow the procedure in the service manual that you can find here at Basscliff's site (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff) to adjust the clutch lever after reconnecting the cable? When was the last time the cable was replaced?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The oil was changed using the manual, using specified oil, so im sure its ok. Im not sure when the cable was changed, but it had only one owner in the Netherlands, and it has only 20k miles on it so i guess it wasnt changed since it rolled out of factory. But i thing its still in decent condition, as while inspecting it, couldnt see any wear or tear signs. Do you think I should try to play with the gear shifter after adjusting the cable? Could it be causing problems?

Comment

Sometimes the sprocket cover binds with the shift lever if it's not absolutely straight when tightening. Loosen it up, see if that fixes it.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

What gasket did you use for the clutch cover?

If you use a crappy aftermarket gasket that's thinner than stock, you can have problems like this if it binds the shifter shaft.

The stock Suzuki gaskets (and some aftermarket gaskets) are fairly thick, 1mm or more.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Also, when on the kickstand, engine on, I can shift up and down no problem, but when I put gear in, rear wheel starts to turn (with the clutch engaged). Up-shifting is easy with these conditions. But if I try same process with both wheels on the ground, up-shifting is really hard (even though the bike doesn't move in gear and clutch engaged). Does this indicate that there's something wrong with the clutch cable?

Comment

Likely an adjustment issue.

Your problem is that there are THREE adjustments that need to happen.

Start at the top, loosen the locknut at the clutch lever and turn the adjuster IN to maximize the slack in the cable.

Now remove the cover that is just inside your left boot. I believe the shifter lever and the footpeg have to be removed. There is an adjustment where the cable attaches to the crankcase. Ensure there is plenty of slack there.

1. Adjust the helix that is pulled by the clutch cable so there is just a little bit of play, then lock it in place.

2. Adjust the cable at the engine so there is just a little bit of play, lock it in place.

3. Adjust the cable at the handlebar so there is just a little bit of play, lock it in place.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

IMG_0945.JPGNot sure this is the problem but I know that from my experience when I was reassembling my GS550T I didn't grease this gizmo, in particular the nylon housing which made compressing the clutch lever near impossible.

Last edited by Mr.humbucker; 08-23-2019, 12:18 AM.
                GS550T 1981
                GS850G 1983
                GS650G 1982
                GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Thats for help everyone. I made some adjustments on the clutch itself and the cables and now its much better. Its not perfect but at least usable for now.

Comment

Working...
                  X