Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

solenoid clicking, starter not turning over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solenoid clicking, starter not turning over.

Hey guys, my bike was starting and running fine, then one day the solenoid just started clicking. Kept checking connections and wires, and found nothing so far. Then the wire from the neg terminal to the bike ground melted. I replaced it with a thicker wire and checked all the other wires. No more were melted. It still only clicks. Jumped the posts on the solenoid and it sparks, doesn't turn over. Jump directly to the starter post and it immediately turns over. Kinda going nuts here, help appreciated.

OK. Time for a game of "20 Questions".

I'll ask the first two.

1. What bike are we talking about? No, it probably does not matter for this particular discussion, but get used to being asked this, until you remember to mention it every time or create a signature that mentions it for you.

2. What is the battery voltage?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

its a 1980 gs450, and the battery voltage is good, battery is brand new, just put it in yesterday.

Comment

by good i mean 12.6 volts..

Comment

3. What is the battery voltage when you turn the key ON and let it set for about 30 seconds?

4. What is the battery voltage when you push the starter button?

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

"Jumped the posts on the solenoid and it sparks, doesn't turn over. Jump directly to the starter post and it immediately turns over. "

I vote for new solenoid...

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

@steve, will check and report back. At tom, thats what i thought, but she still clicks when i hit the start button.

Comment

im also considering just getting a new wiring harness, i found a new old stock one for a reasonable price, just dont wanna have to drop cash if thats not the issue.

Comment

Solenoid clicks, so not a problem with wiring harness.

answer Steve’s question 3 and 4.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    "Jumped the posts on the solenoid and it sparks, doesn't turn over. Jump directly to the starter post and it immediately turns over. "

I vote for new solenoid...

If you jump straight across the solenoid between the 2 large posts you have taken the solenoid out of the equation. If it cranks like that OK then I agree, solenoid. Real cheap on ebay.

Comment

Even cheaper at your local auto parts or home improvement store.

Many of the solenoids for lawn tractors bolt right in.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Ok, noticed I had some corrosion on the tip of my voltmeter, cleaned it off and battery came in at 13.1 after 30 seconds, and 13 while holding the start switch.

Comment

Make sure the solenoid is well grounded. Also, check the ground from the starter (through the starter mounting bolts, case, and back to battery).
                          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by Kellencmiller View Post
                            Ok, noticed I had some corrosion on the tip of my voltmeter, cleaned it off and battery came in at 13.1 after 30 seconds, and 13 while holding the start switch.
                            5. What kind of battery are you using? A fully-charged wet-cell lead acid battery shows 12.6 volts. A fully charged AGM battery (that is a construction type, not a brand name) shows 12.8 volts. I am not familiar with any battery that shows 13.1 volts after 30 seconds.

6. Does your bike require pulling the clutch to engage the starter? There should be more than a tenth of a volt drop when pushing the button.

7. Have you ever checked your meter for accuracy? Ignore the bike for a moment. Take your meter to your car, open the hood, check the voltage on the battery. If it is very much over 12.8, you need a new meter.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

If the battery in the meter is low on charge it will generally over read.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                              X