Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

solenoid clicking, starter not turning over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the battery is a new agm, and no, the bike has never required me to pull the cluth to start before.

Comment

8. Have you tried checking the voltage on your car battery?

9. Going back to your original post, you said "the wire from the neg terminal to the bike ground melted". The wire from the negative terminal of WHAT? I am thinking that you might have mis-identified a wire.

Need to re-visit #5, along with #3. A fully-charged AGM battery shows 12.8 volts, but will show a lot more right after it is removed from a charger. It is quite possible that the voltage will be 13.1 or so, right after removing the charger. You need to apply a load for a short time to remove the "surface charge". That is why the request to check voltage again after 30 seconds. Even better would be to remove the charger, turn the bike ON for about 30-60 seconds, then turn it OFF and let it sit for several hours and check the voltage. Check it before turning the bike ON and again after about 30 seconds.

10. What happens (if anything) when you push the starter?
      a) nothing.
      b) solenoid clicks, but starter does not turn.
      c) starter turns, but engine will not fire.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X