Moto America coming to my local track "The Ridge" June 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moto America coming to my local track "The Ridge" June 2020

Per RRW.com the national series is making a stop in the NW.
    It'll likely help speed up some infastructure the track needs, as the place has no power in the paddock, garages or a bridge to the infield.
    Probably the last time a national series came to Washington was in 1991 for the Wera F-USA, where we got to witness methanol burning oil cooled GSXR 1100's and Yamaha 2-stroke YZR 500's rail around Seattle International Raceway, now Pacific Raceways at the same time.

It was pretty cool to witness back then, as the local #1 plate holder Joe Pittman on a FZR1000, leading for half the race against Kenny Roberts 500's with Rich Oliver & Robbie Peterson aboard the 2-strokes. Michael Martin of (M4) and the late Donald Jacks were riding the methanol burners.

Wayne Rainey and Chuck Askland endorsing the track will make doing more trackways there feel a little more special!
    Going for a 2 day @ The Ridge next week 9/8-9 with 6 other friends camping out.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Sounds really kool!!!!
    I have to ask about the methanol burning engines? Don't get that, because CH3OH has 1/2 the energy density of gasoline.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Moto America is the real deal. A very professional run organization. Glad to see them coming to your neck of the woods. I just saw them guys last weekend at Beaver Valley.
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        Sounds really kool!!!!
        I have to ask about the methanol burning engines? Don't get that, because CH3OH has 1/2 the energy density of gasoline.
        Depends on how much compression the motor has

Those things were built beyond what mere gasoline could handle
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          Depends on how much compression the motor has

Those things were built beyond what mere gasoline could handle
          Well, the oil cooled GSXR engines were limited to 10:1 compression because their oil cooling was limiting.
          Methanol would burn much cooler, so compression could be raised. I should read up on the subject.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Sounds really kool!!!!
            The key is the "O" in CH3OH. Methanol brings some of it's own oxygen to the party, so you can run a much richer mixture. Around 4:1, if I remember correctly.
            So, while each molecule has less energy, you can stuff more of them in the combustion chamber. Net result, more power.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
              The key is the "O" in CH3OH. Methanol brings some of it's own oxygen to the party, so you can run a much richer mixture. Around 4:1, if I remember correctly.
              So, while each molecule has less energy, you can stuff more of them in the combustion chamber. Net result, more power.
              Up to a point, yes. More important - at least in an air cooled engine - is the higher latent heat of evaporation of methanol.
              Modern petrols are able to be used at very high compressions and will make a lot of power doing this - but heat is the unavoidable byproduct.
              Methanol on the same high coms will run a lot cooler as the rich mixture in the inlet tracts will suck heat out of the head.

My business partner and I ran an alky burning GSXR1100 back in '88 - '89 when it was legal for roadracing here. Engine life was helped by the lower temps - but offset by the cases flexing under load. High HP however it's achieved still costs.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                Up to a point, yes. More important - at least in an air cooled engine - is the higher latent heat of evaporation of methanol.
                Modern petrols are able to be used at very high compressions and will make a lot of power doing this - but heat is the unavoidable byproduct.
                Methanol on the same high coms will run a lot cooler as the rich mixture in the inlet tracts will suck heat out of the head.

My business partner and I ran an alky burning GSXR1100 back in '88 - '89 when it was legal for roadracing here. Engine life was helped by the lower temps - but offset by the cases flexing under load. High HP however it's achieved still costs.
                Greg I'd like to know more about your experience, like what kind of HP did it achieve?
                I'm planning on selling my 92 GSXR 1127 engine for a many reasons; too heavy, the torque comes on with a wham in mid corner, the 5 speed trans is too limited.

Comment

Greg I'd like to know more about your experience, like what kind of HP did it achieve?
                  I'm planning on selling my 92 GSXR 1127 engine for a many reasons; too heavy, the torque comes on with a wham in mid corner, the 5 speed trans is too limited.
                  Never dyno'd. Ran 190mph plus in a flying quarter mile event - with about 3/4 mile run-in to the traps. We were lucky enough to secure a top rider for it - after it had injured the owner and another local guy. Robert Holden rode it for most of a NZ season. New lap records at every track we ran it at.
                  750 WSB kit cams, RS36 or 38 depending on track. Tried the 6 speed in it the season prior - and made it live too - but the extra grunt once we had it on fuel made us go back to the 5 speed. It broke traction - with a 180 section Michelin slick - when you hit 7000rpm. Holden loved it and drifted it laying rubber out of corners. After the first season with it, I shortened the headers about 4 inches. It was an absolute torque monster which was hard to get off the line without rolling over backwards. Shortening the headers raised the peak torque rpm and gave it less at the bottom - much easier to get moving.
                  The record which stood longest was Teretonga - first under 1 minute lap - Stroud on the Britten knocked a tenth or so off it early 90's. Holden was there and said at prizegiving that he could have gone faster if needed - he won by about a half lap.
                  Robert was killed shortly after that in the IOM.

Comment

I believe all that. Torque Monster for sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X