Rule needed to eliminate thread crapping in For Sale threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rule needed to eliminate thread crapping in For Sale threads

It seems that every time someone posts something for sale at a price that doesn't agree with someone here there are critical posts against the original ad. Most of the time the complainer(s) isn't/aren't a legitimate prospective buyer anyway. Why is this behavior tolerated here? Why not just let the marketplace decide if the price is too high? We don't need complainers bashing other members posts here. A rule is needed prohibiting thread crapping since some members here can't seem to help themselves.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." has been my personal rule for a long time when looking at someone's post trying to sell something.

If they actually ask for feedback on why they're not getting $9,000 for their barn fresh GS450 with mouse nests in place of carbs, then sure, release the kraken. Otherwise, unless you're making a cash offer shut up.

Look at it this way: we ALL stand to benefit from a more active, functioning, and welcoming marketplace in GS parts, bikes, and goods. They're not making any more of these things. I'd much rather have a site where a n00b who did a little Googling might feel like they have a shot at selling this dusty bike in the corner they don't know much about.

Making this an enforceable rule might be a little difficult, but at the very least it should be a clear expectation: unless you have something positive to say or valuable, accurate information to add, BUTT OUT.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Where did that compufire for sale thread go? Some long time member took a crap on that without any need or justification to the degree it seemed like an accusation of fraud.

Yeah what the market will bear is an age old bit of wisdom in sales.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

If there are any mugs out there willing to pay 9 grand for a crappy old GS, let them in.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Seems much ado about nothing. Who cares if someone doesn't approve of a ad or price? Go ahead and spend 9 grand for a rusted, not run in 30 years, not all there, barn find if you want. It doesn't bother me a bit.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

All kinds of nit picking opinions are posted for bikes on sale regardless of price, even from ole Ed Ness.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              Seems much ado about nothing. Who cares if someone doesn't approve of a ad or price? Go ahead and spend 9 grand for a rusted, not run in 30 years, not all there, barn find if you want. It doesn't bother me a bit.
              Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              All kinds of nit picking opinions are posted for bikes on sale regardless of price, even from ole Ed Ness.

It's disrespectful to bash some GSR members ad just because you don't like the price. If you don't want to buy because the price is too high just walk away. The marketplace will determine true value of something without the peanut gallery responses.

And I do NOT pick on members bikes here unless the person openly asks for feedback. Mind you if someone here links a craigslist or ebay ad they found then it's fair game to comment. That's not what this thread is about. It's about the overtly negative comments every time someone posts a bike here that's priced higher than some here would prefer.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I wasn't going to bother posting my 1150 here, because most of us here are a bunch of penny pinching tightwads, myself included, but I'd also like to have a member buy it, so there is a better chance it won't go the way of most and be turned into a drag bike.

On topic, people need to remember, that when someone is selling something, ragging on them or their asking price, sucks and I'm sure they wouldn't want it to happen to them. In other words, "do unto others as you would have done to yourself."
                GSRick
                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I don’t judge or rag on a seemingly absurd asking price. I simply ask if they are firm on the price.The response I get dictates what follows. There are ones who really don’t have a clue innocently enough. So I talk to the person to get a sense of why they are at that price. Not an issue really but the more belligerent or know what it’s worth type you can easily pick out. The others are either ballpark or clueless. You either make a deal or move on. A persons asking price may not have anything to do with true value, but it also could be the best most perfect example you’ve ever seen. And probably worth the price. But it’s called armchair quarterbacking for a reason.

Comment

Who follows the rules here, anyway? Doesn't the rule say no religion except in the vortex?
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Knit picking is one thing, although it's another when Gustovh high-jacks my sale thread bashing the product I'm selling. This behavior is unprofessional, childish and pathetic.

Please reference misc sale threads for Krauser bags, and all mounting framework. This is why I'm normally 'gray man' on these sites. Regardless of your comments, there's always someone that must attempt to bring others into their cesspool. Morons.

Comment

The thread originator can delete it, and start again.
                        Just a thought.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

In most my other forums the for sale threads can't be responded to. Only modified by the OP.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            The thread originator can delete it, and start again.
                            Just a thought.
                            Sometimes threads are either auto-deleted or manually deleted.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                              In most my other forums the for sale threads can't be responded to. Only modified by the OP.
                              That is the best idea I have heard on the topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X