No announcement yet.

Rule needed to eliminate thread crapping in For Sale threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When a member here posts a for sale ad link of a bike on craigslist or similar it's kind of fun to comment about the bike. It's the thread crapping about a members stuff that crosses the line.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      When a member here posts a for sale ad link of a bike on craigslist or similar it's kind of fun to comment about the bike. It's the thread crapping about a members stuff that crosses the line.
      Agreed. There’s a distinct difference between a member sharing a link they found and share here, and a member posting their own bikes or parts for sale. Often, the shared links are deserving of critical or snide comments and a good time is had by all.

When it’s a member’s item for sale, I think critical comments often just cause discord that’s not helpful. We are all (well, most) here to help each other, right?

Of course there are “members” who clearly only join for the purpose of placing a free ad on the forum. Those fall into the former category, IMHO.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        Agreed. There’s a distinct difference between a member sharing a link they found and share here, and a member posting their own bikes or parts for sale. Often, the shared links are deserving of critical or snide comments and a good time is had by all.

When it’s a member’s item for sale, I think critical comments often just cause discord that’s not helpful. We are all (well, most) here to help each other, right?

Of course there are “members” who clearly only join for the purpose of placing a free ad on the forum. Those fall into the former category, IMHO.
        It’s a matter of perception and individual judgement. How that is conveyed (the criticism) is what is at stake here.

It’s a perceived culture. People have the right to voice their opinion. How it is received is where the conflict begins.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Alcoholics use to beat their wives and kids to vent their frustrations. Now the join forums to screw with people. Pro's to internet life I guess. Respect.
          Last edited by Shred Astaire; 06-25-2020, 09:18 PM.
          1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
            It’s a matter of perception and individual judgement. How that is conveyed (the criticism) is what is at stake here.

It’s a perceived culture. People have the right to voice their opinion. How it is received is where the conflict begins.

Ed

Case in point of the problem here. Blasting a members post over something like price is not a matter of "individual judgement" and "perception," it's a matter of BAD MANNERS. People have no right to bring another person down.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Case in point of the problem here. Blasting a members post over something like price is not a matter of "individual judgement" and "perception," it's a matter of BAD MANNERS. People have no right to bring another person down.
              Glad you said something Ed; I was restraining myself.

Comment

It’s an individual opinion. And you seeming to make a point and not having any other thoughts is why you started this thread.

You can have your opinion. Putting it on blast to have people agree with you is another point altogether.

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-26-2020, 05:19 AM.
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Glad you said something Ed; I was restraining myself.
                  Posplayr,

you of all people...act like you have restraint.

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Posplayr,

you of all people...act like you have restraint.

Ed

Isn't it evidence enough I was refraining in that I did not respond to your misguided comments about freedom of speech?

Maybe you want to rephrase your post so you as well as everybody else knows what your were trying to articulate?

Comment

Isn't it evidence enough I was refraining in that I did not respond to your misguided comments about freedom of speech?

Maybe you want to rephrase your post so you as well as everybody else knows what your were trying to articulate?
                      I am not trying to verbally spar with you nor is my intent to throw mud in your face.

Being vindictive or somehow displaying antagonistic words doesn’t help the situation.

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

It seems that every time someone posts something for sale at a price that doesn't agree with someone here there are critical posts against the original ad. Most of the time the complainer(s) isn't/aren't a legitimate prospective buyer anyway. Why is this behavior tolerated here? Why not just let the marketplace decide if the price is too high? We don't need complainers bashing other members posts here. A rule is needed prohibiting thread crapping since some members here can't seem to help themselves.
                        I know one site that will hand out 3 day bans to people who denigrate threads involving people posting their new purchases or denigrating for sale items. It works. A sticky pronouncing a rule can do the same thing without having to ban someone or you can put in a "dislike" button. Homie don't play that game.
                        1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

Allow me to repeat myself... this ain't that hard a concept, and it's so incredibly effortless to be a polite non-thread-crapper; if you're in the "for sale" forum and the urge rises, just click "back" and look at something else.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." has been my personal rule for a long time when looking at someone's post trying to sell something.

If they actually ask for feedback on why they're not getting $9,000 for their barn fresh GS450 with mouse nests in place of carbs, then sure, release the kraken. Otherwise, unless you're making a cash offer shut up.

Look at it this way: we ALL stand to benefit from a more active, functioning, and welcoming marketplace in GS parts, bikes, and goods. They're not making any more of these things. I'd much rather have a site where a n00b who did a little Googling might feel like they have a shot at selling this dusty bike in the corner they don't know much about.

Making this an enforceable rule might be a little difficult, but at the very least it should be a clear expectation: unless you have something positive to say or valuable, accurate information to add, BUTT OUT.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I am not trying to verbally spar with you nor is my intent to throw mud in your face.

Being vindictive or somehow displaying antagonistic words doesn’t help the situation.

Ed

Please note there is no dictum of "freedom of speech" at the GSR. Perhaps if you let that sink it, you will understand your statements are inappropriate.

Comment

Please note there is no dictum of "freedom of speech" at the GSR. Perhaps if you let that sink it, you will understand your statements are inappropriate.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...aq_forum_rules
                              welllll.......since you're citing those rules, maybe tune your signature & avatar back a bit...?

On the topic; I agree with not crapping on each others for-sale postings; a few reasons have been already mentioned; but mainly because the GSR spans worldwide: one market's steal is another market's absolute fantasy price. there's mostly no point to ridicule anyway (unless you're in the exact same market, which is quite unlikely, even in a tiny country like Switzerland prices vary in just one to two hours worth of driving distance apart, heck, even a different neighborhood gets you differing price tags...).

It is however my opinion that another rule won't help, it would need to be enforced - and remember, Frank (think that's his name?) runs and moderates this forum solely on his own (I think? I don't recall any moderator? At least on the non-vortex parts, I don't access the vortex).

I've offered to help out, but didn't get a reply (maybe his mailbox is full, dunno).
                              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I'm just a long-timer, not the owner of the forum, but...

I think "no crapping in sale threads" is a very clear social expectation around here. It's part of our unique culture. We're a fair bit more polite and less profane than most moto-forums, and we're a lot friendlier. If you haven't noticed that we're generally a very polite bunch and you tromp around and act rudely in other ways, you're likely on lots of ignore lists and no one likes you anyway.

That said, it's true that it's not really written down anywhere besides here, like at the top of the For Sale forums. However, thread crappers never read or care about such expectations anyway.

I don't think it would be productive to encourage the amateur lawyers and limit-pushers and create more work for the mods by publishing a set of written rules on thread crapping and handing out punishments.
                                Last edited by bwringer; 06-26-2020, 05:04 PM.
                                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                                X