Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pm sent about cams and rockers. Dar

Comment

So the TeamDar, a good man, and thorough, has provided parts a plenty to get the 1100 back in action.
      a matched set of cams and followers, the 750 oil pump gears, a good oil pump, points breaker cover, and cam end covers. incredible.

Fornarelli will do the installation of parts, and hopefully in 2 weeks i'll have some good updates, including some comparative photos of the valve train parts, for posterity.
      81 gs1100E
      81 gs550
      74 xlch 1000 custom
      03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
      76 honda cj360
      72 honda cl350
      2 green parrots

Comment

I love it when a plan works.

Good on you, TeamDar. Show us all the pics you can, Cin.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

So the gs1100 came home today. [<pic]
          sounds phenomenal. maybe its because i've been riding a single for the last few months, but #WHOA
          in addition to parts install (cams, rockers, oil pump, 750 oil gears), they gave the carburetors a sync, and an oil change. it just roared to life. it was rainy and miserable all day today, and likely tomorrow, but i can't wait to ride in morning rush hour Chicago traffic later this week if it stays dry...

as promised, more pictures.

the new cams that TeamDar sent me [1] [2]

my old rockers, no identifiable location markings [1] [2] [3]
          -the left 2 in pic 3 are the most worn, especially the one on the end. actually a ridge on the outside of the contact pad. yikes.

my old cams, wear is harder to see in a photo, needs closeup inspection... but you can see some if you know what you're looking for (i didnt until today) [1 intake#2] [2 intake #3]

more close inspection of worn parts here, complete with mumbling [video]
          81 gs1100E
          81 gs550
          74 xlch 1000 custom
          03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
          76 honda cj360
          72 honda cl350
          2 green parrots

Comment

Can't see the pics but the video came through.
            Noticed your little green assistant made an appearance.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

yes can't see the pix either. Google changed their "sharing" setup awhile back so it's no longer useful for those among us that are trying to stay below the gaze of Mordor and the Borg.

Comment

Weak.
                It’s hard to find an efficient image sharing system. The site Only allows you to upload/share one image per post, and all the other sites want to route you to their website instead of just sharing a picture. Either way, the video shows it all, the new parts are just good looking.

Videos are usually easier anyway. The green assistants love licking engine oil off parts LOL not good.

Unless someone really needs or wants to see them, I will let these pictures remain unshared.
                81 gs1100E
                81 gs550
                74 xlch 1000 custom
                03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                76 honda cj360
                72 honda cl350
                2 green parrots

Comment

Nice thread, thanks for posting and updating till the end. Enjoy the bike.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Glad you got her all fixed up. Just a little piece of info for you. THIS is what happens if you let a valve adjuster go loose on you... Still ran like a scalded monkey, but I never could get it out of my mind that it was like that. Motivated me to swap the 1100 into my T, lol...

'83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

well, it's been a bit. the problem is still here. unfortunately.

i got the bike back from the shop in winter, after having replaced camshafts, along with updating the oil sump pump gears. and when i rode it in the winter, i never heard it tapping like it did in the fall.

cue up to the nice weather, and the bike finally being able to reach operating temperature, on a warm day after a little jaunt on the interstate. tap tap tap @ like 2.5k RPM

annoying, to say the least.
                      worn camshafts were not the issue. but i paid for the replacement! thanks bike shop!
                      last weekend, i rode it to cincinnati and back, from Chicago, and while it ran fine (ran well, even!), i struggle to ignore the tapping when i am cruising low speeds.

my current plan is to just keep riding it normally, and see how it continues to deteriorate or stabilize.
                      81 gs1100E
                      81 gs550
                      74 xlch 1000 custom
                      03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                      76 honda cj360
                      72 honda cl350
                      2 green parrots

Comment

I just went through something similar with my 1100 motor. Rockers cupped out bad. I bought the engine to throw in my 750. Once I got it running she was ticking bad. Pulled the cover to adjust valves and noticed it had a set of Cam Motion camshafts. Adjusted valves, same ticking. Adjusted a second time thinking I missed something. Nope. So I pulled the cams and found the rockers cupped out.

I got good used rockers off ebay, and installed them. I put 200 miles on it, and tore it down for an inspection today. Don't see any unusual wear. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and keep riding.

I have no idea why mine chewed the rockers up to begin with. Maybe previous owner ran it low on oil, or the wrong type of oil.

Comment

Working...
                        X