Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts dealer says 1981 suzuki gs400 parts discontinued

Hi everyone,

I'm really having trouble finding parts to rebuild the top end of my bike. Has anyone come across similar circumstances? are any of the other GS series motor parts compatible?

Thank you for any help.

ummmmm what parts are you looking for specifically? Did you do a lookup on parts fiche sites such as alpha-sports? Some things are certainly not available for an old bike.

ouch alpha sports does not list it. Is this a Canadian spec 400 cc I4 engined bike?
    Last edited by Cipher; 09-05-2019, 09:58 PM.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

GSX 400 E 1981
      Overall Length: 2,105 mm (82.9 in)
      Overall Width: 755 mm (33.5 in)
      Overall Height: 1,095 mm (43.1 in)
      Wheelbase: 1,415 mm (55.7 in)
      Dry Weight: 173 kg (381 lbs)
      Engine type: Air-cooled 398 cc parallel twin, DOHC, 8 valves. 44 hp/ 9,500 rpm, 3.7 kg-m/ 8,000 rpm.

Here's more Suzuki GSX400E info.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Huh GS400, 2 cyclinder that was 4 valves per cyclinder.
        Huh GS400, not listed on US parts supplier. Maybe was not available in US. (the 450 twin was 2 valve per cylinder).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

There was also an I4 that looked nice may be it was a JDM grey import though.

I checked csml a british I think parts site and it has valves and stuff listed as well as quite a number of parts for the twin. Its a GSX but Im sure thats a european name convention.

✓ Suzuki spare parts for GSX400 Motorcycle. ✓ Swift delivery ✓ Original Suzuki GSX400 parts
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            ummmmm what parts are you looking for specifically? Did you do a lookup on parts fiche sites such as alpha-sports? Some things are certainly not available for an old bike.

ouch alpha sports does not list it. Is this a Canadian spec 400 cc I4 engined bike?
            I have a long list of parts I need. Bottom cylinder gasket, o rings, head gasket, valve guides, cover gasket, valve seal, intake valves, exhaust valves, piston ring sets. I think its an import, I was told by the parts dealer that I have a unicorn, they looked through the microfiche and found the parts to be discontinued.

Comment

I think its an import a parts dealer figure maybe its a 1981 suzuki gs400lx

Comment

is it too dark to take pictures?
                the label on the frame should provide a good amount of information beyond year. Mine had a big old white circle sticker with a maple leaf so if thats still on the steering head near the year and serial sticker then its a canadian market bike
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Oh yeah there’s a big ol’ Canadian sticker I see it now

Comment

Oh and btw use the csml fiche to get the appropriate parts numbers then with the oem part number do a lookup for parts on a NA fiche site.
                    Suzuki used parts bin engineering and according to csml the exhaust valve 1291245410 is also used in the gs 750 of a certain generation and no doubt its used in others as well.
                    what HO?
                    Alpha-Sports

- Part Number Cross-Reference - Where Used - 12912-45410

Part Number or Accessory Name

Note this is the list that comes back from the alpha-sports web site so its only going to list US models but you get the point harvest the information you need then look it up. If its still listed aas available go to your parts dealer online or local and present him with a list of what you need.

Also note that for some reason the lasat time I bought local the parts fiche in use by the dealer had only US spec parts listed for my bike so I got the wrong jets for my carb off by one size increment. It seems that they subscribe to a one size fits all service. The actually fiche as supplied to dealers in Canada would have correct information.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

It's most unusual to need valve guides on the 8V 400 twins. The heads usually crack long before the guides wear enough to replace.

Comment

IMG_4654.jpgtook me a while to figure out how to get a pic on here

Comment

IMG_4657.jpgsays its a GS400L

Comment

IMG_4660.jpgsays gs40x on the case

Comment

Definitely an L. There was one of those being piloted by someone who works at my local golf club. Haven't seen it in awhile, however.
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X