Engine knock leaning to the right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine knock leaning to the right

Hi all, my Suzuki gs650 has just developed a knock but only when leaning to the right. When it’s upright or leaning to the left it sounds sweet. Just wondering whether anyone has had this problem before or any idea what it could be.

Hi kalaven and welcome.
    Could the clutch basket nut be loose?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      Hi kalaven and welcome.
      Could the clutch basket nut be loose?
      Certainly possible, I’ve not done any engine work to the bike. Haven’t had it long. I thought I’d post it on here to see if anyone had this problem before and was something simple before I go stripping the engine apart. I’ll check the clutch basket. Thank you

Comment

When bike leans to right, oil level drops in area where rotor/stator/starter clutch dwell. If clutch basket is tight, take a look at the stator area. Understand that this is a plain bearing engine.....likes good oil pressure!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          When bike leans to right, oil level drops in area where rotor/stator/starter clutch dwell. If clutch basket is tight, take a look at the stator area. Understand that this is a plain bearing engine.....likes good oil pressure!
          Going on from the oil pressure, assuming these things are good. Its possible it could be oil pump/oil pump screen blocked. Something like that not feeding oil properly?

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Understand that this is a plain bearing engine.....likes good oil pressure!
            That would depend on whether there is a shaft or a chain between the engine and the rear wheel.

Yep, the 650E has roller bearings, the 650G and 650GL are plain bearings.

Kaiaven, how does the knock sound? Is it steady, or does it knock a few times, go away for a few seconds, then repeat? If it does that, does it seem to go away above about 1500 RPM?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by kaiaven View Post
              Certainly possible, I’ve not done any engine work to the bike. Haven’t had it long. I thought I’d post it on here to see if anyone had this problem before and was something simple before I go stripping the engine apart. I’ll check the clutch basket. Thank you
              See if the clutch basket is visible with the oil filler open. Does pulling the lever in and releasing make the basket move?
              97 R1100R
              Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                That would depend on whether there is a shaft or a chain between the engine and the rear wheel.

Yep, the 650E has roller bearings, the 650G and 650GL are plain bearings.

Kaiaven, how does the knock sound? Is it steady, or does it knock a few times, go away for a few seconds, then repeat? If it does that, does it seem to go away above about 1500 RPM?

It is shaft drive. The knock is steady but only on idle leant to the right. If you rev it the sound goes away and then comes back when on idle again. Sounds like it’s coming from top end. I’ve taken the cam cover off. Doesn’t seem to be any play in the cams.

Comment

I think Steve is heading to the infamous cam walk noise where they shift sideways at idle.
                  It's generally a tap tap, tap tap , silence repeat and only at idle.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous

Comment

Also, if you are low on fuel, the float in the gas tank will sometimes rattle off the bottom of the gas tank. I know it will with my 850g. Another thing that will cause a annoying noise, a loose exhaust collar. Even a worn out gas cap rubber and spring will drive you nuts! A lot of times I think the engine is ready to explode! Then find it's something simple. Good luck 👍
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

An example of cam walk noise.
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                      X