Sources for Race Tech FEGV-S3301

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    The emulators are so simple... There are a couple of ways they could change the valving but the main one would be changing the spring on the top. My guess is dirt has a stiffer spring and that's it... they are adjustable.
    I have just purchased a set of genuine Racetech FEGV S3301 emulators for my GS, i bought them from one of their UK stockists.
    They come with 3 sets of springs, of different spring rates. They recommend the softer of the 3 with my 150lb weight, with 3 turns of preload on them, 20w fork oil.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      I have just purchased a set of genuine Racetech FEGV S3301 emulators for my GS, i bought them from one of their UK stockists.
      They come with 3 sets of springs, of different spring rates. They recommend the softer of the 3 with my 150lb weight, with 3 turns of preload on them, 20w fork oil.
      I also purchased a set recently from a local to me stockist. There was a blue spring (installed on the emulators) and two yellow springs included in a bag. I was expecting all three springs to be different.

What colours are the springs in your set?
      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

difference between the FEGC-3301 and S3301

Yes, Race Tech said the check plate and spring options. I was guessing it might be just springs also but I guess that's kind of cynical. I don't like the idea of paying an extra $60 to select the proper spring and asked the amazon seller if his plain 3301's come with three sets of springs like the S-3301's come with …

The emulators are so simple... There are a couple of ways they could change the valving but the main one would be changing the spring on the top. My guess is dirt has a stiffer spring and that's it... they are adjustable.
        1979 gs1000e (everyday) 1977 gs750 for sale
        1983 yam xj550 maxim streetbob sold
        1995 gsx750F everyday fighterjet 1990 gsx1100F for sale
        2000kaw zx600
        2003 BMW K1200GT sport tour
        2000Buel Cyclone M2 motorwork
        1984 Yam venture xvz1200 -long ride/cold ride ride gf ride..
        1978 Honda cb750F3 supersport top end (still)
        1976 Harley FL 3/8" S&S stroker - motor out way too long
        1980 Harley fxs80 - wacked good on this one

Comment

Sonic is partnered with Jamie Daughterty to sell his emulators under DMr

to add another twist, Jamie Daughtery got back to from me from a Sonbic inquiry and he offered DMr emulators for $150 beating the race Tech price but would offer no pictures or drawings, and they are not even listed obn the sonic website or the DMr website. The DMr website talks about emulators for one specific bike so I guess for the $150 he asks for your dampers and machines an adapter.

I might beat them both and order the mikes emulators and machine my own adapters.. in fact, I think that's done if sonic doesn't offer me an exchange on the fork springs which at 1kg/mm just seem to be overly stiff for my weight..
          2000kaw zx600

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
            I also purchased a set recently from a local to me stockist. There was a blue spring (installed on the emulators) and two yellow springs included in a bag. I was expecting all three springs to be different.

What colours are the springs in your set?
            There are blue, yellow and silver springs in my set.
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by garyS-NJ View Post
              Yes, Race Tech said the check plate and spring options. I was guessing it might be just springs also but I guess that's kind of cynical. I don't like the idea of paying an extra $60 to select the proper spring and asked the amazon seller if his plain 3301's come with three sets of springs like the S-3301's come with …
              There are two springs. A small one that governs the internal washer (check plate) and a large one on the outside that allows the top to "blow off" on square edged bumps. I doubt if there is anything different than the springs and I also doubt there is any major change on the check plate spring that you couldn't overcome by using a lighter weight oil and adjusting the top spring.. of course that would affect rebound too so unless you have the adjustable 1100E forks like me you might have to play around with the springs.

This is worth a read if you haven't...

In my KLR I use a Ricor set, they actually have a serious of small washers inside like a full cartridge does.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Cogent Dynamics is very well thought of... not sure if he does an emulator to fit our skinny forks!

The Cogent Dynamics DDC valves are the most cost-effective upgrade you can make to your motorcycle’s forks.

Useful too:

FWIW Progressive springs go to about 50lb once the progressive rate bit (close together coils) has become coil bound (or if you cut that bit off and replace with spacer). This is true of all the Suzuki ones I've seen and the ones that came in my KLR.

In my Skunk I ride with a 45lb straight spring (it's the most you can make by shortening the stock ones on the 1100E fork I use). about perfect for my 160 ish lbs. You need less spring with emulators fitted than you do without as the emulator controls the compression spikes not the spring.

Last edited by salty_monk; 09-17-2019, 03:08 PM.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thanks, I missed this last post and recieved my FEGV-3301 (without the "S"). These emulators came for four color coded sets of springs and I understand I need the blue 40# springs. and they came with two sets of blow off valves. One set has two little holes and the other set has 4 4 little holes.. I sent email to race tech but in the interim can any you folks tell me which set of blow offs I should use for my '79 gs1000 with sonic 1kg straight wound springs? I am 160 lbs usually riding this bike solo so with above info on emulators allow use of lighter springs I suspect they might be too stiff. Lastly, I found instructions that said drill out the four damper holes to 0.25" but other instructions said to drill them out and add another pair to make six holes at 0.25" what should I do here??
                  2000kaw zx600

Comment

I Used the term blow off valve whee I actually meant the valve plate under thge long spring/. But as for the three pieces that make up the check valve, I didnt see how my gold emulators would come apart to inspect those parts.. is it a tight-ish press fit?
                    2000kaw zx600

Comment

That's new getting the additional blow-off plate... not sure which you need. The one with more holes would probably take more force to "blow it" I would guess & that would lead me to think that maybe that's the off road variation.... or maybe it's for use with heavier oil weights.

More holes is better... You can't have too many as long as you maintain structural integrity of the piston. Pretty sure I have 6 from memory.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I didnt get any extra "blow off valves"with my S3301 kit
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

A little write up about my install.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            A little write up about my install.
                            https://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/t...#comment-86993
                            It said I didn't have permission to view the contect
                            2000kaw zx600

Comment

That's new getting the additional blow-off plate... not sure which you need. The one with more holes would probably take more force to "blow it" I would guess & that would lead me to think that maybe that's the off road variation.... or maybe it's for use with heavier oil weights.

More holes is better... You can't have too many as long as you maintain structural integrity of the piston. Pretty sure I have 6 from memory.
                              Well everywhere says blue springs 3 turns so I would guess 2 holes or r could chsngevthings a lot and il wait for s rider to chime in else call racetech if they don't email back.
                              2000kaw zx600

Comment

Originally posted by garyS-NJ View Post
                                It said I didn't have permission to view the contect
                                maybe you have to join or log into in as a guest. They run a tight ship over there regarding linking threads. Sounds like you’re covered anyway. There was a good thread here started by Glib about a year ago on the same subject.
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X