Parts in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts in Canada

Hey Folks, first post so forgive me if this has been posted before somewhere, I didn’t see anything in my searches.

I’ve asked my local riding buddies about parts/equipment places in/around the GTHA (Ontario) and got the typical dealer answers, but I’d like to know what the Canadian market is like compared to the US/International market in terms of prices/availability/etc. I prefer to support my local shop but some items (running shoes as an example) are marked up 2-3x compared to the price of US items, whereas other items are almost the same price number regardless of the exchange rate? How does bike equipment compare?

Also, when ordering online, does duty and shipping kill any benefit of shopping abroad? Any sites to avoid?

General scope - braided brake lines, plug wires, shocks/springs, aftermarket seat/bar-end mirrors/gauges/lighting, helmet/gloves

Thanks for any help you can provide
    Last edited by KillerGriller; 09-17-2019, 11:04 AM.
    1982 GS650e - Cafe or Scrambler...that is the question...

I probably do the vast majority (>90%) of my parts ordering through US online retailers, but counter the absolutely ridiculous shipping costs by using a US Postal address just on the other side of the border. That might not be an option for you depending on deep into the golden horseshoe you call home. Time across the border and back is going to be a major issue for you as well.

That being said, the exchange rate has put a real damper on my enthusiasm for buying parts in the states. However, some things just aren't available locally, or as you say, the costs are jacked up enough to make waiting for a sale worth it. It's the usual for me: Partzilla and Parts Outlaw get the most orders from me.

When I was in my biggest buying phase, my local Suzuki dealer actually provided the best price/convenience trade-off, all things considered, but they are no longer an official Suzuki dealer, and don't have the same level of access to parts and shipping. Since then, I haven't seen a Canadian price on parts that beats American offerings (before shipping)

Duty: only been hit with duty once in all of the years I have been ordering, both in terms of the parts I pick up on the other side and that which is shipped to Canada. More importantly and expensive is the seemingly automatic "handling" fee charged by Canada Post. A couple of the companies (e.g. Motorcycle Superstore) have great shippin rates, and I haven't seen the extra fees or duty. It's been a few years since I've ordered from them, and it's mainly soft goods now, so for that I've switched to FortNine out of Quebec.

Brake lines: Rennsport out of Mississauga is a readily available option for you. Build your own from Earl's Plumbing is another great option (and there is a good guide in the GSR)

There used to be a company out of Alberta (bonus, no provincial sales tax, but new rules might mean you have to pay ON tax now) that was a decent source of small/finishing goods, jets, various and sundry items. The name escapes me at the moment but I'll fill it in if I can find it.

EBay was a fantastic resource, but parts seem to have dried up, at least for my 650G. There are still some good deals out of Greece and Israel for the 550ES, though.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Great response, BigD.
      My response would have been basically the same.

I have a box in Niagara Falls and live close enough that the time, gas and tolls don't add too much to the overall costs.

I used to get all my tires from Petes Superbike in Montreal but their prices and shipping costs keep rising.

Killer have a look at the gtamotorcycle.com site. Lots of info on there about cross boarder shipping spots and on-line vendors.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks guys, great info. - I'll check out those links.

BigD - Thanks for the head's-up on the Earl's Plumbing, that looks right up my alley

Steve - Are there any Buffalo shops that are worth the trip? I cross the border a 3-4 times a year that way and could drop-in on my way through. I also have access to some US friends that I can ship to if there's decent online deals.

Comment

Sometime Fort Nine have good specials, I paid less in CDN $ for a bandit 1200 dynojet kit than the US price.Shipping is free over 49$.
          One thing to remember is to absolutely not take any shipping across the border with UPS.
          Marc
          AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
          1978 GS1000C X2
          1978 GS1000E X2
          1979 GS1000S
          1979 gs1000
          1983 gs400e

Comment

I've been using Fortnine for several years and they are amazing for non-Suzuki parts. If they don't have what you want they're pretty quick at getting it. Prices in most cases are pretty competitive with many US online retailers including tires, chains and sprockets. Return policies are also great. I had to return a set of chain and sprockets I ordered in error (I already had a set on the shelf) and while return shipping was obviously on my nickel they said to send it COD and when they got the parts they would credit my Visa minus their cost of shipping which was about 1/3 of what I would have paid. Greats folks there. I use them even though I'm only 45 minutes from a US drop point.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys!

Has anyone used PartsCanada? My local dealer goes through them for their non-oem stuff, which makes it easy for me to pick up stuff I've ordered.

I emailed Rennsport about braided brake lines and didn't get a response, I haven't had time to follow up, but building my own from Russell or Galfer stock seems likely at this point.

Comment

I believe Parts Canada doesn't sell to the retail market and are wholesale only.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                X