Clear All

Here is the jet I tried drilling.

20190925_205803.jpg
    1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post

Who is Steve? .
      Well, that's certainly no way to get his help

He's posted thrice in this thread. You need his help.
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-25-2019, 10:49 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Who is Steve?
        Steve is the man with the experience and facilities to fix your carbs.
        There are others too.
        That's preferable to bashing your head off a wall trying to fix something that's becoming a total pain. There are times when it's just more worthwhile to hand the job over to someone who can do it right, and for not much financial pain.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yeah, I've been debating that. Should I take it to a professional? A local shop, Brenny's Motorcycle Clinic, charges $100 per carb, for $400 total.
          I like learning how to do things, and I want to be able to work on my bike myself. However, I'm still out of my depth on many things, but I don't know many people who will work on them.
          1980 GS550E

Comment

First thing: ungang the carbs. You can't use heat (nor rebuild) the carbs all assembled like they are. Since the gang plate screw(s) are stripped you are going to have to turn them out with a pair of vice grips or cut a slot.

Secondly, drill deeper using a smaller bit and work the bit sideways to be sure you are centered. If you are not centered you will ruin the carb body. The idea is to start with a small bit and step up in size until the shell of the jet spins out.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I’ll have to remember the Torx bit idea, but I have always used a left-hand drill to extract them.

Turn the bit SLOWLY. Let it dig in, rather than spin out all the chips.

A heat gun isn't enough. You need at least a propane torch, if not oxy-acetylene.

That's the problem with the internet: so much conflicting advice. A heat gun, a propane torch. A propane torch will ruin it, but a heat gun isn't enough.

Who is Steve? Also, pictures incoming.
              Have you read the thread? I'll include his comments for you again
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                Steve is the man with the experience and facilities to fix your carbs.
                There are others too.
                A local shop, Brenny's Motorcycle Clinic, charges $100 per carb, for $400 total.
                How much do you know about this "Brenny's"? Do you know "Brenny" himself? Any of his mechanics (like the guy who would be doing your work)? Have you spoken with any of his customers? Do you know how long he's been in business, current location or elsewhere?

Local is nice, but selfishness (enlightened self interest) is the order of the day here.

You've read (or should read) Steve's detailed explanations of the workings of carbs. You can also read testimonials and reviews of his work, along with photos. Haven't read a bad word about Steve.

Now try to gather similar info on "Brenny". I'm sure you have demands on your time and I doubt that you live across the street from Brenny. But if you did, I'd say plant yourself in a window and watch. Is he busy? Do the people coming and particularly leaving seem happy or not? Do bikes leaving his shop sound like they're running good? You don't want to be a pain, but pass by and hang around as much as you can. You can get screwed locally as bad as from a thousand miles away.

For most of us long timers, Steve is a known quantity. Brenny, not so much.

You've got your work cut out for you. Good luck.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's not really local, per se. It's in the next town over. As such, I haven't been able to view their work (as it's in a back room), but the online reviews are generally good.
                  1980 GS550E

Comment

...the online reviews are generally good.
                    Remember, those can be manipulated. Word of mouth is good - you can generally tell if someone is lying to you.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Remember, those can be manipulated. Word of mouth is good - you can generally tell if someone is lying to you.
                      That is true. I also don't have a truck or trailer. I'd have to rent one, or buy a rack. I got a trailer hitch for a 2006 Ford Escape, but I don't know how well a rack would work on that, being front wheel drive.
                      1980 GS550E

Comment

I think U-Haul will rent you a trailer for like $20.

Comment

ZPS take stock please, you have been given excellent advice by some to contact Steve and ask him what the cost would be Steve has many satisfied customers and you will struggle to find better.
                          I know who I would go with as opposed to a shop that you do not know has a website that has reviews that may or not be true.
                          The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                          past bikes. RF900
                          TL1000s
                          Hayabusa
                          gsx 750f x2
                          197cc Francis Barnett
                          various British nails

Comment

Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

OK, I'm trying to figure out who this "Steve" guy is that everyone is talking about, too.

Obviously, I have not been checking this thread often enough.

ZPS, I got your PM, will respond to it.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good stuff 👍👍👍
                                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                                past bikes. RF900
                                TL1000s
                                Hayabusa
                                gsx 750f x2
                                197cc Francis Barnett
                                various British nails

Comment

Working...
                                X