No announcement yet.

Stuck Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, I got the old jets out, and the carburetor fully disassembled. The old jets have holes in the sides, the new ones don't. Is that ok? Also, the threads don't seem as wide as the old ones. I hope they still fit.

15696744458343881672314785848276.jpg
    1980 GS550E

Comment

Those look like the wrong jets. These look like a match...https://www.denniskirk.com/mikuni/oe...prd/176040.sku
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I usually get my jets from Jets R Us.

However, ... looking at Nessism's link, it appears that not only are they cheaper at Dennis Kirk, it appears that you get TWO jets for that cheaper price. If that's true, I will be getting my jets from DK from now on.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Does it have to have the holes? What do those holes do for the GS550, as opposed to the non-hole ones?

It's hard for me to find the exact words, but I think you know what I'm trying to say.
          Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 09-28-2019, 03:53 PM.
          1980 GS550E

Comment

The holes are there to mix the air from the pilot air jet that is in the intake throat. Without the holes, you will not have a "mixture", only a limited quantity of "fuel". The rest of the carb is calibrated for mixture, it won't know what to do with raw fuel.

Bottom line: you need the bleed holes on the sides of the jets.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Bottom line: you need the bleed holes on the sides of the jets. .
              What Steve is politely trying to say is, you don't have the correct jets.

Get the correct jets at the link above. What you have won't work.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                What Steve is politely trying to say is, you don't have the correct jets.

Get the correct jets at the link above. What you have won't work.
                Polite? Me?? Nope.

I was just adding a "why" to Nessism's statement.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Those look like the wrong jets. These look like a match...https://www.denniskirk.com/mikuni/oe...prd/176040.sku
                That's probably the link you were referring to.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Alright, I've ordered some jets from that link.
                  1980 GS550E

Comment

Progress is good.....
                    i almost hate to ask this but.....no mention of mixture screws in your fun with pilot jets....have you removed these?
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have not. Someone before me removed the caps that were over them, though.
                      1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
                        I have not. Someone before me removed the caps that were over them, though.
                        This could be good or bad news....maybe they were removed previously and properly -good:
                        or they have been attacked and mangled - bad.
                        Just like those pilot jets, you need to approach them carefully with a screwdriver that perfectly fits into the cave and spans the mixture screw head fully. Here's one of my mine..

image.jpg
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

And what do I do with it once extracted?

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                          This could be good or bad news....maybe they were removed previously and properly -good:
                          or they have been attacked and mangled - bad.
                          Just like those pilot jets, you need to approach them carefully with a screwdriver that perfectly fits into the cave and spans the mixture screw head fully. Here's one of my mine..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59091[/ATTACH]
                          1980 GS550E

Comment

The first thing you need to do is to realize that you will NOT see what is in the picture.

You will find a screw that is about 3/4" long and goes to a very sharp point. After you remove the screw, you might need to use a drywall screw to reach in and pull out a spring. When the spring is out, reach in again with the drywall screw to remove a very small metal washer and an o-ring. The goal is to replace the o-ring with a new one, but this should really be part of a FULL rebuild of the carb. Good thing you already have the carbs apart. You can now dip them properly and get the o-ring kit from cycleorings.com. This would also be a good time to recommend replacing the o-rings in the intake boots. Get them from cycleorings, too.

Are you following Nessism's carb rebuild tutorial?

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I already put it together and put it back on. My fiancee doesn't like the smell of gasoline inside, and I can't keep them outside without worry of them being lost or stolen. I'll have to take it off again to switch the pilot jets.

What would I do to adjust the air flow? I get the feeling there isn't enough air. When I put the carbs back on the first time, they weren't seated properly in the boots. There was a gap, and air got in. This caused the engine to rev high. After I seated them properly, it wouldn't start, not even if I sprayed gasoline into the carburetor through the airbox (even though that worked before).
                              1980 GS550E

Comment

Best to follow Nessism's tutorial and do the job properly or the smell of gas will be the least of your problems.

As Steve mentioned there's some little parts in there, so beware

image.jpg
                                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                                X