No announcement yet.

Stuck Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It could be the fuel has gone off. It's been sitting in the tank for a couple of months. What fuel should I put into it? 88? 89? The guide mentions between 85-95 octane. I believe I put 89 into it last time, the usual unleaded.
    1980 GS550E

Comment

I have a question about heating the carbs... how much heat are we talking? Is 10 sec with a propane torch enough, or is it more like 30? I've got a set of carbs that have been laminated by ethanol, and every time I think I've broken the jet loose, it turns out I've just stripped off more brass. I've had them soaking in PB blaster for a few days now, but I'm worried that if I don't get them out on the next attempt that I'll damage the threading in the carb bodies.

Comment

Which stuck stuff are you having trouble with....pilot jets...mixture screws?
        Does it appear that someone has been messing with them before you??
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by irish_lord99 View Post
          I have a question about heating the carbs... how much heat are we talking? Is 10 sec with a propane torch enough, or is it more like 30? I've got a set of carbs that have been laminated by ethanol, and every time I think I've broken the jet loose, it turns out I've just stripped off more brass. I've had them soaking in PB blaster for a few days now, but I'm worried that if I don't get them out on the next attempt that I'll damage the threading in the carb bodies.
          You should avoid direct flame at all costs or you could end up with just a lump of molten alloy.
          Either use a hot air gun or heat them in a pan of hot water and let them simmer.
          Make sure the body is held clear of the pan base by either a basket or wire etc.
          A few heat cycles and the application of WD or similar on the stuck item while they are hot and left to cool will help.
          If you have an outside stove you can use thin oil in the pan, just be sure not to over heat.
          Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
          VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Sorry, forgot to specify... pilot jets. I don't think that anyone has been "messing with them" per say. The carbs were removed from the bike for rebuild a few years ago, but the rebuild never materialized. They were never even fully disassembled. I was able to get two pilot jets out when I originally tackled the project last weekend, but two others remain stuck. They've been soaking in PB Blaster whenever I'm not working on them.

Zed, thanks for the input! There's so many different opinions out there, it's hard to know which to go with. I have tried the heat gun to no avail, so I will try hot water next. Fingers crossed...

Comment

Working...
            X