My Brother's Yamaha TR3B Road Racer turned street bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Brother's Yamaha TR3B Road Racer turned street bike

My brother bought this Yamaha 350 Roadracer which had been racer by Dan Hanebrink of Monotrak Engineering. It had a Daytona tech sticker on it, and a holed piston. These were 150+ mph bikes, which by 1972 dominated the 750 class at Daytona. The frame is pretty much a Norton Featherbed copy (I had an Atlas at the time). Hanebrink mad his own 16" magnesium wheels and his own disc brakes/calipers. My brother wired up total loss lighting for it. It had no charging, just an exposed Krober electronic system and electric tach starting at 4000. It was push start only. The case had a boss cast init for a kick starter, but it wasn't drilled. My brother registered it in CA, and it was savagely fast on the streets. He geared it down a bit. He had fun beating a lot of KZ900s etc over on the long straight roads separating the El Toro Marine Air Station from the avocado groves, our favorite top end speed ground in those days. It had a holed piston when he bought it. New parts were at the dealer. It seized on him when we were out there by the avocado groves one day, and he never fixed it. His son put an R5 engine in it and commuted to high school. Nobody remembers where it ended up or how it left the family.

183 made. He should have kept it.

That's my brother's friend pretending to have been hit by it. It is an older project, to be sure.

My old project, a 1969 Norton Atlas cafe racer I built in the 70s.

Last edited by 850 Combat; 09-20-2019, 03:34 PM. Reason: add photo
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Working...
X