Motion Pro universal oil filler cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Pro universal oil filler cap

When I got to the hotel in Farmington this week, Larry almost immediately pointed out that my oil fill cap was missing. I had topped off the oil, but got distracted and forgot to replace the filler cap before loading the bike up and leaving for MO. As a long shot, I asked at the Suzuki dealer across the highway if they had a replacement cap, but of course they didn't have one on hand. I know, I know, it looks suspiciously like a 1.25" bathroom sink drain plug.

It worked pretty well for a couple days, but I can only guess how long it would take for the threads to chew through it and start dropping chucks into the engine. I don't really want to find out.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

I applaud your ingenuity.

I did similar on way to brown county a few years ago. A lid to an orange juice fit somewhat. Went to Suzuki dealer in Bloomington and the general manager dispatched someone to go get one off a used bike at a remote location. (And he said he just sold a new bike earlier that afternoon to a guy from Florida that was at the rally in Bedford) And he apologized for charging me the 12 dollars for a new one when he was giving me a used one.

anyway, ever since then, I got another spare to carry.

i say all that, so I can say:
    hey, if you had lost that at brown county, I would have had a spare for you.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

We checked that plug at every stop through three days of the usual vicious twisty-road flogging, and it did not leak a single drop. Not even a bit of oil mist escaped.

I'll definitely add that little trick to the ol' information store. Lost oil caps have happened more than once at rallies, and this is a quick, easy to find, and very effective solution.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Left the Sporty gas cap at stations (briefly), but the Suzi has the key in it, so that don't happen.

My '71 Honda and '73 Kawasaki had the gas caps attached to the tanks with hinges. Wonder what was wrong with that?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

it's even safety wired for track days, nice
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
            it's even safety wired for track days, nice
            I'm thinking about adding that feature to the permanent replacement. This is not the first time I've left it off.
            Dogma
            --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              It worked pretty well for a couple days, but I can only guess how long it would take for the threads to chew through it and start dropping chucks into the engine. I don't really want to find out.
              Bathroom Pro, surely?

I'm thinking about adding that feature to the permanent replacement. This is not the first time I've left it off.
              Yep, that's a good idea.
              More than once I've realised the cap was loose and pulled in just in time to tighten it up. Also, more than once I've had the cap off and rode off with it still sitting on the flat inside top of the crankcase, where it was in danger of eventually falling onto the road. Those incidents instilled an almost OCD-like compulsion to check the damn thing every ride, but some time I'll forget and it'll be gone.
              Last edited by Grimly; 09-23-2019, 09:25 PM.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

This is not the first time I've left it off.
                They say "Experience is recognizing a mistake when you do it again."

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"Expansion plug" from a parts house. Ask how I know.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

So just how much oil shoots out when you leave that cap off? I'd imagine its just enough to make a hell of a mess on the bike and your pant leg, but not so much to actually effect the level.
                    1981 Suzuki GS250T
                    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                    1985 Suzuki GS550E
                    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Doesn’t really shoot out, is more of a splatter.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        Bathroom Pro, surely?
                        "Movement Pro", maybe.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                          "Expansion plug" from a parts house. Ask how I know.
                          That's what I was looking for, but I didn't want to be driving all over town hunting one down it I didn't have to.

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
                          So just how much oil shoots out when you leave that cap off? I'd imagine its just enough to make a hell of a mess on the bike and your pant leg, but not so much to actually effect the level.
                          The clutch slings out a lot more than a leaky half-moon. It's significant and messy. It's noisy too.
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Cleaned my clutch cover up with a rag soaked in gas and sealed it up with duct tape. Lasted several hundred miles until I got home. I always carry duct tape.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                            X